Unanswered: Disconnecting an absent DB user

(Access XP)

We've tried splitting a shared db stored on the network but for whatever reason (network traffic/power, db design, etc.) the performance is horrible. So, we have one file on the shared drive. Problem, of course, is making updates and needing all users to exit. Not unreasonable since no user is constantly working in the db anyway.

PROBLEM: Some folks often leave the DB file open ALL day even if not actively using it. Sometimes, they go home or go to a long meeting so I can't have them log out.

Is there anyway to disconnect a user from the db cleanly? (Shared workbooks in Excel allow you to "remove" a user.) Someday maybe I'll add a timer that will close the db after a certain period of non-use or user confirmation but evidently researching posts says that's not all that easy either.

Any thoughts regardiing booting an absent user out of DB would be much appreciated!

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by paulzak
    Someday maybe I'll add a timer that will close the db after a certain period of non-use or user confirmation but evidently researching posts says that's not all that easy either.
    Sure it is! Create a form that remains hidden from the user. In the form's timer event, have it ask the user if they want to continue working, if not, kill it.

You didn't mention if this was a split database or not either... you're not allowing multiple users to simultaneously open the same file for extended periods of time are you? If so, RIGHT NOW would be a phenominal time to look into splitting your db...
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

I guess it's time for me to try the hidden form on a timer. Hope it's that easy.

No the DB isn't split. We tried that but the performance was incredibly bad for some reason. Surprising, but totally unacceptable. This seems to be best, though not ideal.

Provided Answers: 1
    You have far more options for increasing performance with a split db as opposed to hitting it directly. What you may gain in performance but hitting the file directly you will horribly lose in stability and corruption issues.

The quick fix is probably the timed form, but seriously consider going with a split db recode. If performance is an issue, you could hit your backend with ADO or other disconnected architecture of choice...
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Provided Answers: 6
    Here's a sample of what Teddy suggested:

http://www.peterssoftware.com/isd.htm

And I'm in complete agreement with Teddy on the split issue. Having multiple people sharing the same copy is asking for trouble.
    Paul