Unanswered: Complex Database Design

I am in the midst of a Database Development using MS-Access. It was recommended early on that MS-Access was not the way to go bec of the complexity of the Database. Because of budget issues, we ended up using Ms-Access however I'm already running into a lot of problems. I have several forms that updates multiple tables. I have a consultant working with me on this project, my code works in his machine but not in mine. Now my question, Is it possible to develop your forms in Ms-Access and the back-end in something else. Like connect to an SQL server? What would that entail? Can you technies give me your thoughts on this? Thank you so much!

do you have this set up as the forms and everything on the front end and all the tables in a backend database linked to the front end?

Quote Originally Posted by cristy
    I am in the midst of a Database Development using MS-Access. It was recommended early on that MS-Access was not the way to go bec of the complexity of the Database. Because of budget issues, we ended up using Ms-Access however I'm already running into a lot of problems. I have several forms that updates multiple tables. I have a consultant working with me on this project, my code works in his machine but not in mine. Now my question, Is it possible to develop your forms in Ms-Access and the back-end in something else. Like connect to an SQL server? What would that entail? Can you technies give me your thoughts on this? Thank you so much!
    Yes you can ... Depends on the connection scheme you want to use (ADO, direct link, ODBC, etc ...)
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Hi cristy

It was recommended early on that MS-Access was not the way to go bec of the complexity of the Database.
    Complexity shouldn't have much to do with it. Concurrency, feature requirements, performance issues, physical size would though.

Because of budget issues, we ended up using Ms-Access
    If budget is a problem check out this

my code works in his machine but not in mine.
    Maybe a bit harsh to blame lil' ol' Access for this one. Perhaps a little troubleshooting could save you having to port....
    Last edited by pootle flump; 02-16-06 at 12:46.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Provided Answers: 1
    my code works in his machine but not in mine.
    What happens when it "doesn't work"? Are you using the same version of Access? Same MDAC? Could be something as simple as a missing reference...

Now my question, Is it possible to develop your forms in Ms-Access and the back-end in something else. Like connect to an SQL server?
    As answered above, definately. If you decide to go with SQL server as a backend, I heartily recommend using an access data project as your front end as opposed to linked tables or what-have-you. ADP's are specifically designed to work as a front end to MSSQL.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***