Unanswered: Invoice Numbering Incremental Loop

I have a query named UninvoicedWorkOrders
    it shows a list of work orders that have not been invoiced

WORKORDERNO WOTOTAL INVOICED
    1000 500.00 N
    1020 200.00 N
    1066 100.00 N
    1077 300.00 N

I want to loop thru the query and append an invoice entry into tblInvoices - but need to increment the invoice number by 1

I also have a table named tblInvoices

INVNO INVDATE WORKORDERNO
    100 2/16/05 1000
    101 2/16/05 1020
    102 2/16/05 1066
    103 2/16/05 1077

after that - I will update the matching records in the work order table INVOICED to Y

How do I create a loop to loop through qryUninvoicedWorkOrders and Increment the Invoice Number as it adds the new records?

Any help is appreciated..

Hi

One quick question - given that the invoice no looks like a simple integer field - why didn't you just use an autonumber and have Access do the work for you?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Good Question - Here's Why

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    Hi

One quick question - given that the invoice no looks like a simple integer field - why didn't you just use an autonumber and have Access do the work for you?

I usually do it this way - however, the company I am developing this for wants to use a table to set the next invoice number - which may be 10000 this year,then next year start at 20000 year later 30000.

Thre is a bit more to it as well, but the above explains it..

Ok doke. Not 100% certain but I think you could still get JET (I was wrong to say Access earlier....) to do this by programmatically resetting the seed each year.

I would contemplate a function and work this out as a set but there is a risk if you are going to be giving this to users... I'll pop down some code.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Provided Answers: 59
    Personally whenever I've hit this problem I've always fought hard to use an autonumber, often the user requirement is quite bizzaire, or the old stand by "we have always done it that way", or we wantr to mask the number of invoices we have sent (although this doens't look tenable in this case).

However lets presume you can't use an autonumber then you need to store somewhere a row which has the last used number in it. I know we have answered this requiremnt several time sin the last month or so, so have a search of the site and see what you return.

The general proces is something like
    -secure and exclusive lock on the row containing yoour next number.
    -retrieve the number
    -take a copy for your invoice
    -increment the number
    -write the next available number
    -release the lock
    -write your inovice

The only wrinkle I can see here is if the invoice numbers must be sequential for the customer, is that instead of incremting it by one, increment it by the number of invoices you want to create
    HTH
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton