Question Unanswered: Networking Over Internet

I have 4 pc's each running an access db. i need to either link tables from each db to a fith pc or link each pc.

i have a broad band connection on each pc which runs windows xp. i have tried to use the windows VNP utility but have not been successful.

each machine runs a retail management system with stock levels, customer details etc. i want to be able to check stock levels and view data from another machine.

is it possible to link these db's?

what is the best way to do this?

Your state:

I have 4 pc's each running an access db
    1) Are these 4 PC on the same LAN?
    2) With access are you running a front end and sharing a backend?
    3) When you tried VPN how was it terminated (Server or Router)?

More information required.
    Regards,

John A

internet networking

The 4 pcs are at different locations, each pc has a broad band internet connection.

when i tried to use vpn it came up with error 678

each pc has it's own front end and back end db. i want to link each back end db to a master in a centeral office so data retrievel can be automated.

i currently used goto my pc, this is cheap but it means constantly logging on to each site to retrieve data, then linking the retrieved data to another db so it can be manipulated in to useful information.

If you put the back end on a server in the "Central Office" and 4 PC connect to that just using VPN, then you would want a fast internet connect at all ends.

I have set up sites that;

Users login to a linux server via VPN, the server does the authentification, then then user uses XP remote desktop to connect to a PC's at the "Central Office". This works fine for the Sales reps getting quote information or printing orders for the despatch dept to fill. The router at the "Central Office" just passes port 1723 to the server. 3 of the Managerment team also login from home etc to their desktop PC's to check and reply to e-mails.

If you want 4 permanent connects to the data at the "Central Office" via the internet then I think that you need local professional help to assist you (No offence intended). I feel that if the business is relaint on the database to function you would also need a "Business Grade" internet connection with redundency

Using either Linux server or Routers you can set up a permanent VPN network over the internet. This runs all the time and does not require users to "VPN" in each time they want to use the program.
    Regards,

John A

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. i was however, looking for constructive help.

anyone can say try professional help, but if thats what i wanted i wouldn't be on this forum.

Anyone trying to use internet networking might find the following useful

1) Your isp needs to provide you with a fixed ip address
    2) configure windows firewall under advanced options to allow incoming echo requests
    3) use c: command on host pc and enter ipconfig, this will return the ip address, dsn address and sub address
    4) use c: command to check the connectivity of your host by typing PING followed by the ip address you are trying to connect to. if this is sucsessfull you should beable to connect with a vpn

all of the above can be found on xp help and support if you have the patients.

Quote Originally Posted by "L"PLATE
    Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. i was however, looking for constructive help.

anyone can say try professional help, but if thats what i wanted i wouldn't be on this forum.
    I thought John was singularly helpful myself. Advice from a forum is free - if you want someone to agree with you and provide what ever you ask for you do, as you note, go to a professional. This is an Access forum afterall and your question is more about networking as far as I can tell.

I do hope you didn't miss the little nugget of good advice re Access that John threw in too...
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

"L"PLATE
    You did not like my advise, that OK you can't please everyone all the time;

However let look at your advise;

1) Your isp needs to provide you with a fixed ip address
    2) configure windows firewall under advanced options to allow incoming echo requests
    3) use c: command on host pc and enter ipconfig, this will return the ip address, dsn address and sub address
    4) use c: command to check the connectivity of your host by typing PING followed by the ip address you are trying to connect to. if this is sucsessfull you should beable to connect with a vpn
    1) You do not need to have a Static IP (fixed) to use VPN termination (End Point). ( I have 2 running with Dynamic IP)

2) Not necessary.

3) This is better ipconfig /all

4) Not correct, just because you can ping does not mean you can terminate a VPN Session (You may not have permission to connect via VPN). With your reasoning - If I can pring Google.com I should be able to VPN to it.

From my point this is the end of the debate, after all this is an Access forum, so good luck with your project and when all fails get a local profession to do it for you.
    Regards,

John A

i'm sure you must be right john but you would have great difficulty connecting to a vpn server if you could not ping it,

almost there, (without professional help), remember; if you never learnt anything new and always got someone else to do it then you would still be crawling around and wearing nappies.

i'll let you know when all 3 satalite dbs are linked to centeral point