Unanswered: Autonumber limitations?

Hi everyone,
    On a db I have records set to autonumber/increment/the index was set to no but after 210 records the autonumber started over at 1 again. I deleted those 6 records that I had already put in and changed the index to no duplicates. I can no longer add records, I get an error msg that says that I can't go to that record. Is 210 a default for the amount of records that can be stored? How do I change this value?

Thanks,
    Mike

autonumber runs out of steam at 2,xxx,xxx,xxx records
    - by the time you have 2billion records, JET is useless.

probably you need a replacement table.

the only reasonable use for autonumber is primary key for a table - set this up with the table empty. primary key needs to start life indexed no duplicates.

you can append any meaningful data you have in the old table to the replacement table. bad luck if you already have foreign keys in other tables dependent on your old autonumber... you can get there with carefull appends, but it takes planning & time.

izy
    Last edited by izyrider; 02-18-06 at 14:46.
    currently using SS 2008R2

Roy-Vidar

Thanks for the reply Izy and Roy. I use access 2000 so the solution that Roy gave doesn't work. I did work my way through it though with out redoing the table. I deleted the primary key and add it again. All is well now and the db will go past 210 records in numerical order. Once again thanks for your time.

Mike