Unanswered: what does "binary distributions" mean?

Hello all,
    I am reading MySql Reference Manul.
    Know someone, what is the meaning from "binary distributions "?

Thanks

Provided Answers: 59
    some software, especially open source is distributed either as source code or compiled.

The source code option allows you to make any modifications you may require, however you will almost certainly have to download a series of support libraries to cleanly compile the application.

The "binaries" are compiled, so you need to make sure you download the most appropriate binary for your operating system and or processor. The processor option is more relevant to to the Linux world, but is starting to be relevant in windows with the introdeuction of 64bit processors.

Just guessing, but you would be best advised to download a binary version that closes matches your operating system and processor.
    HTH
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Hello James,
    Thanks for your answer.

We are from a chinese Forum about general programming, the URL is http://www.bc-cn.net/bbs/index.asp but in chinese. My name there is kai.

A friend there noticed that till now there is no MySQL Reference Manual in Chinese, so he want translate it in chinese, after I saw his thread in forum, I decided to join in his work. But you see, we have some problems in translating-work.

We know it must be correct translated not something through guessing. So I will search help world wide. And I came here first time. Thank you again.

kaihua

here is an another question:
    In sentence "Installing MySQL from a Noinstall Zip Archive" there is a word "Noinstall". How can I understand this word, or what does this word "Noinstall" mean?

Provided Answers: 59
    the NoInstall package is for people who do not want to download a MySQL distribution which includes an installer as part of the distribution. IE you have to manually do the copying and configuration. I'd reccommend that if an installer package is available that you use it. If you are an experienced user then an NoInstall distribution may be approrpriatye, otherwise I'd reccommend that you use an installer distribution
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton