Unanswered: mail relay problem out of sql server

When trying to send e-mail out from SQL server I get the following error: “Error string: Server response: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for email@domain.com”.

I am using XPSMTP, which sends mail without the use of a mapi client.

If I load up outlook on the server I can send mail externally? Why would the exchange server not relay mail out of the stored procedure, but do it for everything else?

Provided Answers: 6
    did you check the SMTP stuff in IIS which is required for SMTP mail to work?
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

i do not have access to the IIS server, because I am a contractor at this company

the thing is, i just tested the sql server agent and it sends mail just fine to external addresses

so i know sql server can do it, but i feel like XPSMTP is limited in some way, perhaps the error message is wrong?

Provided Answers: 6
    well the sql server agent is likely running on a domain account with an exchange account and that is how sqlmail works.

smtpmail, as I recall (it's been over a year since I did this) requires somes setup and a running smtp service within IIS. this can be a security issue btw. I would refer to the documentation on the web page for xp_smptmail.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

yes the sql server agent is running off a domain account

i'm using XPSMTP a 3rd party .dll. it does not require IIS, in fact it doesnt really require anything

their website has that error message documented but it doesn't make sense, if i can send mail from the SQL Agent I should have no problem relaying mail from the XPSMTP80.dll

i've been trying to set up SQL mail with no success, sql server does not recognize a profile name in the drop down box in enterprise manager

i have outlook 2000 set up and configured and all...