Oklahoma, USA

Unanswered: Cluster Recommendation

Hey all,

I'm getting ready to work on a large project that will have a very large amount of legacy data, plus large amounts of data added daily. So, what I'm trying to find out is, BASED ON PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, what equipment works well using something like Oracle 10g RAC, shared disk storage like a SAN or a NAS, and is highly reliable?

Since this is new development, we are looking at all vendors for each piece of the solution. I am recommending a Linux solution, but Windows is not completely out of the picture... Our needs are so flexible that we can even consider something other than 10g... 9i RAC, etc.

save disk space, use smaller fonts

Reading, UK
    I wouldnt recommend Windows for a number of reasons not least robustness and security. Linux seems to be Oracle's preferred platform though other Unixes such as Solaris would also be good choices. A good vendor should be able to recommend a good complete solution covering servers, SAN/NAS and software, shopping around for each component may save money initially but interoperability, installation issues may outweigh any cost savings.