Thread: Query Problems

Unanswered: Query Problems

I have three tables, one is a supplier table that has a supplier ID and supplier name, next is a product table with product name and ID, the third table is supplier & product table that lists the product ID, supplier #1, supplier #2, supplier #3..

My results in the query of the 3 tables gives me:

product ID, product Name, Supplier ID 1, Supplier ID 2, Supplier ID 3...

I WANT THIS

profuct ID, Product Name, Supplier Name 1, Supplier Name 2, Supplier Name 3

How do I get the supplier name to printe and not ID??

Here is my SQL:
    SELECT Products.Name, Products.[Product Key], [IF: Suppliers].SupplierName, [Prod & Suppliers].[Primary Supplier ID], [Prod & Suppliers].[Alternate Supplier ID 1], [Prod & Suppliers].[Alternate Supplier ID 2], [Prod & Suppliers].[Alternate Supplier ID 3]
    FROM Products INNER JOIN ([Prod & Suppliers] INNER JOIN [IF: Suppliers] ON [Prod & Suppliers].[Primary Supplier ID] = [IF: Suppliers].[Supplier ID]) ON Products.[Product Key] = [Prod & Suppliers].[Product Key]
    GROUP BY Products.Name, Products.[Product Key], [IF: Suppliers].SupplierName, [Prod & Suppliers].[Primary Supplier ID], [Prod & Suppliers].[Alternate Supplier ID 1], [Prod & Suppliers].[Alternate Supplier ID 2], [Prod & Suppliers].[Alternate Supplier ID 3];

Provided Answers: 1
    Change your supplier/product table.

ProductSupplier:
    --------------
    product_supplier_id
    product_id
    supplier_id
    supplier_type_id (optional, this would be where you define the "order" of suppliers)

With this structure, you could then use a crosstab query to produce the results you want.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

This is NOT what I am looking for. I am getting all the fields that I need , CrossTab limits the # of fields..

I need to have the Product Names display and not the Product IDs.

sorry, correction

Supplier Names not Supplier IDs

Add the supplier table three times in your query.
    Set up references between Supplier ID 1, Supplier ID 2, Supplier ID 3 to each of the supplier table ID copys.

That would do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by databasemon
    This is NOT what I am looking for. I am getting all the fields that I need , CrossTab limits the # of fields..

I need to have the Product Names display and not the Product IDs.
    How does a crosstab limit the # of fields?

Read this

Protip: Don't be so quick to dismiss something that doesn't immediately point you in the direction you're currently heading, it's quite possible that someone is trying to steer you away from a brick wall...

With your current schema, you will have to use a subquery for every single supplier you wish to get a name for. With a normalized design, you can do it all in one shot and produce exactly the same data, I'm not sure where your perception of a field limitation comes from...

I appreciate your comments Teddy, but the tables are normalized. I did follow your advice created a new table and used the wizard to create a crosstab query, but as I mentioned before, it did not allow me to pick all the information I needed.

I did try the multiple subqueries, that worked but then I checked back in the forum for other posts and Vestigo's suggestion worked! I just needed a quick fix to this problem.

Again, I appreciate the refresh of basic information but there are often times I don't have the luxury of recreating tables or such when I just need to restructure a query or SQL statement. Next time I'll try to state if I need a bandaid fix or a major rework for a squirting artery.

good to hear you got it worked out!

I have that little "best-practices" gremlin that always screams in my ear when I see certain table designs, I just can't help myself sometimes...

Smile

This forum has helped me a lot, I'm glad I could give a little back.

sincerely
    Vestigo