Thread: Data Migration

Unanswered: Data Migration

Hope all is well, im wondering if anyone can give me some pointers.

I am about to system test a data migration project, data has been moved from a nucleus database onto a Sybase IQ, and my job is to compare the two databases and confirm that data has been loaded and mapped to the new db correctly.

I will be using winsql and looking at the raw data files on a unix box and was wondering if there are some key areas that i should look out for, areas where they may be some errors.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated along with any free/tools that may be available to help me test.

Thank you.

Anyone??....please?

When you say compare, is it just the rowcount that you are after? or you would want to compare on a records by records basis?

For latter, I would simply recommend using diff. Just usq ISQLw and re-direct the output to a file and then diff it to the source flat file.

thanks dude, good idea I think that will be the best way to test it.

also i only have isql (the old version) for sybase and nisqlm for Nucleus, im a little unsure how i would extract data using nisqlm, you know of any good help pages on the internet.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

correct that, i cant have access to the source db through unix only winsql!!!...

what am i going to do now!!!