What is spoofing?

I've been banned from a site; linked by IP to a suspended user at an internet cafe in my village (I live in Thailand). Since my income depends on this site I'll be moving home soon unless I can resolve the problem. Please help if you can...

Proxy servers are detectable on this site and registering with a different ISP isn't an option here. Could spoofing my IP be the answer? I need to log on from a new IP that doesn't give away my identity.
    Last edited by Appletree; 02-21-06 at 21:51.

I'm speaking strictly for myself in this post, but I'd be surprised if the DBForums management/ownership would feel differently.

Just curious, but why would you expect us to expend effort to help you circumvent security at another site? First of all, it is just plain wrong. Even if we chose to ignore that and did something stupid, if word ever got out we'd be blacklisted more thoroughly than you can even imagine... We'd probably never see a positive referral again.

If you PM or post the URL for the site that you've offended, I'll send them a message asking them to at least give you a fair hearing. I suspect that will get you a chance to present your case. I'm not about to give you advice on how to get around a ban.

-PatP

I agree with Pat.

your original question was "what is spoofing ?"
    in most instances, spoofing is an attempt by someone to steal from you. they fake their information in order to make you think they are someone else.

that is likely what resulted in that IP address you use getting banned to begin with.

here is one type of spoof :
    http://www.getmysiteonline.com/FightingSpam/Spoofs.asp

if there is a problem with that IP address, then contact the people at the Cafe and request user logs and information about the ban, and the action they took to prevent it from happening again (like banning that person from ever stepping foot in the cafe again), then submit that to the website you have been banned from.

on a separate note :
    if you do spoof your information for your legitimate business, and your legitimate customers realize it, they will think you are a scam artist and that WILL get you banned from a lot of sites, including getting your email addresses terminated by your providers.

Its bad to be banned, but if your email address is terminated, it can cost you months of work to reset other accounts associated with or registered with that email address.

Overall.. bad idea.
    http://www.HawaiianHope.org
    Providing Technology services to non profit orgs, Homeless Shelters, Food Pantries, Clean And Sober Houses and more.
    To date we have given away over 900 free computers !

The fact that you do your business from an internet cafe' makes me seriously question the nature of your business anyway. It has scammer/spammer written all over it.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

sorry, that one i dont necesarily agree with.
    a bit presumptive. but yes.. a characteristic.

if he is in Thailand he may not have a computer at home for any number of reasons. maybe he lives in a remote village and they dont have the infrastructure to supoprt it (like electricity or phone lines) i know people all over the world that live in villages without electricity, including here in the USA.

even setting that aside, a cheap computer in Thailand is about 2 years pay for the average person if i am not mistaken. he simply might not be able to afford it. We living here in the USA often forget that the scale of economics is substantially different in the rest of the world.

A friend of mine in Africa told me that a simple 20 Oz bottle of pepsi is the equivelant of a weeks pay.
    Providing Technology services to non profit orgs, Homeless Shelters, Food Pantries, Clean And Sober Houses and more.

Oh, I can understand him USING and internet computer. But 99% of the internet-based businesses that could be run under such circumstances begin with "Please help me. Your name to me froma mutual friend has been given as most honest and trustworthy. I am son of deposed Nigerian dictator Sombodi Yunefa Herdof..."
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA
    soooooo true..

in fact... i have a yahoo personals ad and i have had "women" write to me with almost the same line.... they post a nice photo, get you to write to them, then hit you with "i am out of the country on business currently. i am a textile business owner and have a garment business in Nigeria were i am visiting my parents. i like to you know more about me."

i have reported these to yahoo traced out their IP Addresses and email accounts and gottent them terminated, even reported 1 to the FBI after "she" actually scheduled plane tickets and asked me to help pay for them.

Apple....
    that is why you dont want to spoof. we will hunt you down and terminate your access all together.

Have you tried talking to the site and saying that you have done nothing wrong? If your income depends on this I'm sure you would be willing to try to work it out.