Unanswered: Creating an archive of past records

Hey guys

Whats the best way to create an archive of records within an access database which are not longer active but still need to be held for future reference??????

Quote Originally Posted by netherton
    Hey guys

Whats the best way to create an archive of records within an access database which are not longer active but still need to be held for future reference??????

Uh ... I create a history table and move the records there ... That is a history table for each type of record (payment, expense, timecard, etc ...)
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Provided Answers: 1
    Another option is to use bits or business logic to pull "active" records instead of inactive records. Naturally this is only effective up to a certain volume...
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy
    Another option is to use bits or business logic to pull "active" records instead of inactive records. Naturally this is only effective up to a certain volume...
    And you have to build it in as part of the design of the table(s) ... And you have to have biz logic to update records to inactive ...

So either way ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

or you could output the records set to inactive to a text file (and structure the file for easy import), thereby eliminating the need to store them in your database. If you want a code example let me know.

Thanks,

John

My user wants to be able to view the records in case she needs to write a reference for a past staff member but she doesnt want those who have left to keep occuring in the active set.

Thanks guys, ideas much appreciated!

Provided Answers: 1
    How big of a database are you dealing with here?

The first question I would be asking is whether or not creating a historical schema is warranted based on your requirements. If your user wants to be able to generate information using historical data then off-site backups are right out. Depending on the scope and scale of your project, you may just want to go with the business logic/bit method.

Just because data is there doesn't mean it needs to be exposed to the user. On the same token, just because a user wants to view data historically doesn't mean it needs to be in a seperate database structure...
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***