Unanswered: ACC97: Creating Tasks and Subtasks in MS Project

Hello again,

Just curious if anyone might be able to tell me how to where to find or provide an example of how to programmatically setup up a task and subtask in MS Project.

The code that I am working on so far can create a project plan, establish the columns and column headers that I need, and add the all of the tasks from my recordset. I included a new column (text1) that contains a state qualifier so that I can create a task and subtask relationship for all of the records associated with that state. What I would like to do is this:

after all of the tasks are loaded (have to traverse the rs from the last record and work my way up to rs.bof) I want to insert a blank task for each state in the plan with the state header and then set the associated rows where the state id = the column text in text as subtasks.

I know that there has to be a better way to do this, but I am at a loss at figuring this one out. So, can anyone tell me how to create tasks and subtasks programatically?

Thanks,

John

Hi John

Forgive my ignorance - but what is a task? I'm not an adp user so apols if this is adp specific.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Provided Answers: 59
    h'm not a Microsoft Project user either by the sound of it.....
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Hi Pootle,

a task is nothing more than a line item in a project plan. In my code, I can create a project plan and add the necessary tasks programatically, however, my problem arises when I try to structure the tasks into tasks and subtasks:

i.e.
    WBS Task Name

1.0 OHIO <---Main Group Task
    1.1 Execute batch 1 <--- Sub-Task
    1.2 Execute batch 2 <-- Sub-Task
    1.3 Run Report
    2.0 INDIANA <--- Main Group Task
    2.1 Execute batch 1 <--- Sub-Task
    2.2 Execute batch 2 <-- Sub-Task
    2.3 Run Report

Sorry, the example should have shown the sub-tasks as indented below the main group task. Not sure why it didn't do that.

Thanks,

John

Coo - are all these Access objects? If so I can help in no way I am afraid.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.