Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: Query grid disappears

Ok, why does my query grid disappear in designer mode? I've seen this at more than one client site now, so its not installation specific.

I open up the query in design mode and I can see the tables and their joins, but I can't find the query grid anywhere, even if I scroll all the way to the bottom.

I end up having to copy the SQL code, delete the query entirely, and paste the code back in to get my criteria grid back.

What gives?
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Lol - sorry BM - never seen it. You able to take a screen dump?

You know - real DBAs do it all in code anyhoo
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    Lol - sorry BM - never seen it. You able to take a screen dump?

You know - real DBAs do it all in code anyhoo
    In Access?!?!

Here's the screen dump. Where's my query grid?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MissingGrid.bmp  

blindman

Ok - forgive me for blundering around in the dark. Never had this problem and never seen it. Attached is the closest I could come up to repliacting. If it is this then it isn't a bug. I just turned off status bar, un-maximised the window but stretched it the full length of the screen. I pushed it up the screen as far as I could go and then dragged the design bar as low as I could. I then maximised again and turned on status bar.

Apologies if this sounds very patronising but I am talking as the man that once spent almost two days tryng to debug an application that was "losing" one particular pop up. Everything indicated it was open and visible but it never appeared. I finally worked out that I had only gone and dragged it off the edge of the screen two days earlier.

Otherwise - perhaps it is an A03 thing?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails QBE.gif   QBE_1.gif  
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    Apologies if this sounds very patronising but I am talking as the man that once spent almost two days tryng to debug an application that was "losing" one particular pop up. Everything indicated it was open and visible but it never appeared. I finally worked out that I had only gone and dragged it off the edge of the screen two days earlier.
    It would not surprise me at all if it were something stupidly simple.

So how do you reverse the process to see the grid again?

blindman

Provided Answers: 59
    nah it sounds like its a new feature introduced with A2003 - designed to stop people who should no better using the query designer when they should be writing the SQL directly

tee hee.....
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

OK, I never use the GUI designer in Enterprise Manager, but do you seriously write raw SQL code in MS Access, bypassing the query designer? I guess I might be more inclined to write raw SQL code in Access if it bothered to keep my code formatting, but as you know it doesn't save indents and just mashes everything back into one continuous block after you are done.

blindman

Quote Originally Posted by blindman
    So how do you reverse the process to see the grid again?
    Wellllllll.......
    If this is the problem then:
    Click Tools-> Options-> View-> Untick show Status Bar
    If you still can't see the very top of the query grid line then Restore Down (I finally found the correct terminology...) the window and drag it to the very top of the screen, as high as it will go. Then expand the window so it is as tall as it can be (it should now look like QBE_1.gif).

If you can't see the top grid line - fancy attaching?
    HTH
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Ah ha!
    Tools-> Options-> View-> Untick show Status Bar didn't work, but it gave me an idea.
    I dragged my Windows taskbar to the side of the screen, scrolled all the way down in my query window, and there was the top bar of my query grid!
    Thanks for your help, and file this away with the solution to your "lost popup" problem!

blindman

Glad it helped
    OK, I never use the GUI designer in Enterprise Manager, but do you seriously write raw SQL code in MS Access, bypassing the query designer? I guess I might be more inclined to write raw SQL code in Access if it bothered to keep my code formatting, but as you know it doesn't save indents and just mashes everything back into one continuous block after you are done.
    I do seem to recall seeing someone somewhere that advoacted programmatically saving all Access queries in text files to allow:
    1) Directory structures
    2) Code formatting

He had a little utility to load the relevent file, save as a query (and hence compile) and run.
    That's hardcore Access development that is - equivelent of building your own vehicle from the ground up so that you can potter down to the local shops.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Are you serious? I can write SQL code in my sleep ... I do use the QBE as a helper to rough the statemnet out and then do the fine tuning myself ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Quote Originally Posted by M Owen
    Are you serious? I can write SQL code in my sleep ... I do use the QBE as a helper to rough the statemnet out and then do the fine tuning myself ...
    Write it in your sleep if you can. But I wouldn't want to have to reformat last night's dream every time I nod off.

blindman