Unanswered: Problem with dropping tables when set showplan_all is on

I used the set showplan_all on command to get some statistics; I can't use a server trace and I don't like the graphical thingummy.

I ran a sproc that contained three drop table commands; SQL Server refused to drop those tables when set showplan_all was on. I turned it off and it dropped them fine; why can't I drop tables with set showplan_all on?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by disruptivehair
    I used the set showplan_all on command to get some statistics; I can't use a server trace and I don't like the graphical thingummy.

I ran a sproc that contained three drop table commands; SQL Server refused to drop those tables when set showplan_all was on. I turned it off and it dropped them fine; why can't I drop tables with set showplan_all on?

From BOL,

The setting of SET SHOWPLAN_ALL is set at execute or run time and not at parse time.
    When SET SHOWPLAN_ALL is ON, SQL Server returns execution information for each statement without executing it, and Transact-SQL statements are not executed. After this option is set ON, information about all subsequent Transact-SQL statements are returned until the option is set OFF. For example, if a CREATE TABLE statement is executed while SET SHOWPLAN_ALL is ON, SQL Server returns an error message from a subsequent SELECT statement involving that same table; the specified table does not exist. Therefore, subsequent references to this table fail. When SET SHOWPLAN_ALL is OFF, SQL Server executes the statements without generating a report.
    I love cursor,though I never use it.Cos' I dont want to misuse it.
    ----------------------------------------------

----cheers
    ----http://mallier.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by mallier
    From BOL,

The setting of SET SHOWPLAN_ALL is set at execute or run time and not at parse time.
    When SET SHOWPLAN_ALL is ON, SQL Server returns execution information for each statement without executing it, and Transact-SQL statements are not executed. After this option is set ON, information about all subsequent Transact-SQL statements are returned until the option is set OFF. For example, if a CREATE TABLE statement is executed while SET SHOWPLAN_ALL is ON, SQL Server returns an error message from a subsequent SELECT statement involving that same table; the specified table does not exist. Therefore, subsequent references to this table fail. When SET SHOWPLAN_ALL is OFF, SQL Server executes the statements without generating a report.

Thanks; the DBAs figured it out. It didn't say anything about that in Books Online so I was completely stumped.

Quote Originally Posted by disruptivehair
    Thanks; the DBAs figured it out. It didn't say anything about that in Books Online so I was completely stumped.
    What? I think mallier very rightly quoted the segment that provides the answer of your problem.
    I suggest you to go through it again....