Unanswered: Want to convert Access2K to SQL for use on a network

Hi all;

I have been working on a project that is now known to my group as the neverending story. As of now we have a MSA2K database as a split Front End/Back end for use on the hospital network. (everyone was supposed to get the FE on their box and the BE on the network Via Linked tables and it does work this way now.) The hospital is migrating toward thin clients (box w/o guts) and the FE/BE split is now going to obsolete as everything is over network.

We do have SQL server at the hospital and I have MySQL at home (I work on this @ home too)

My concern is, within Access you have the Workgroup (mdw) file to assign who can to what. How is this accomplished w/ SQL

I did notice in A2K you can make ADP files for use on a network but this allows manipulation of the data and it seems to not like code or command buttons, etc.

We can get the data to SQL but we have a LOT of forms and code for forms. How would you suggest creating the forms for use on an intranet. (I use yahoo! Webhosting and the support MySQL and PHP, so I guess my question ought to be how do you convert already created access forms into PHP so you dont have to create everything all over again.

Some forms have NO datasource and are used as search forms only, we still need to have the security features (Most can Read Only certain others can only write/update on forms that pertain to their particular department) as to not cause Kaos (and 86 [Smart]) where we have worked so hard to prevent accidental updating and worng information.

Any help is appreciated
    TIA

Kevin M Carman

Provided Answers: 6
    I have a number of Access FE/SQL Server BE applications working in a Terminal Server/Thin Client environment. You don't need to convert the FE to anything else just because of that. I don't use Access security, but I suspect it would also continue to work fine.
    Paul

How many users on your files as the last time we tried doing the files the way tha=ey are with more than 50+ users that we set up when more than 10 simultanious users it crashed the server, so now only a select few have access to a file that would benifit more than 800+ users. That is the reason we need another way to do this. the data & queries are not a problem as they should convert easily to SQL server but the forms/reports and modules(functions) are what I need to know how to convert to something along the lines of PHP so we can make the information available to the entire organization without taking up server resources.

TIA
    Kevin M Carman