Unanswered: Sybase Failover and Backup/Recovery

Hello there,

is there anything special to consider for Backup/Recovery, in a Sybase Failover scenario (with two 12.5 companions in a Solaris environment)?

As Backup Server runs independent of the two companion servers, I reckon it can be easily accessed by both as required.
    Any special experiences/configuration for backup in a failover environment are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Frank

In an ACTIVE ACTIVE scenario, if your planning on backup type recovery do not use proxy database feature. This will completely screw up any recovery method.

Sybase HA doesn't work very well in a recovery scenario nor there are any documented procedures for HA recovery that actually work. I personally found it a nightmare, you will have to eventually break the companionship if master becomes corrupt.

In an ACTIVE-PASSIVE setup, none of these problems exist.
    Last edited by willy_and_the_ci; 02-24-06 at 00:41.

...meaning there is no reliable failback procedure?

My client insists on using an active/active configuration, I have to go through it. But thanks for your hints, I should be careful about recovering databases from backups then. What about the case that I want to recover a user database on the primary companion (not the one with the proxy db)? Possible?

Regards,
    Frank

Oh NO! I didn't mean to discourage you from A-A setup. Failover works perfectly with sp_companion resume.

User databases reload from backup("WITH NO PROXY") is pretty straight forward.

The only exception is that if something out of the ordinary happens during failover, let's say corruption of a use table while you are failing over or failing back. Remember the way it works is that, Sybase performs recovery during the mounting process. or something happens to the master like sysusages mis-match etc..

There isn't any documented procedure nor any whitepapers to get out of this situation. it is not as simple as going back to a master backup. This is where HA fails it's customers.