Unanswered: limit query results based on table value

Allright guys here is the problem I am having... hopefully someone can help me with this as I have been struggling with it for a while now.

I need to create a query that only shows a limited number of responses. Typically this would be referred to as a Top N query where N is a number like 5, 25, 100, etc. In this case the value of N is static. However, I have a dynamic value that I require for N that could change daily. I would like to be able to pass this into a query (I know it takes VBA code) so that I do not have to adjust the query. The number N that I have is available from either the query where it is calculated or a table where it can be stored.

I have written some VBA code that works for limiting the number of query results when a static number is input now I just need to find out how to make it read in the number I need (I am pretty confident in that I can place it in the SQL string once I know it is available to the VBA code).

The code I have is as follows:

Option Compare Database
    Option Explicit

Sub qryTopNValues()
    On Error GoTo Err_BuildQry

Dim strSQL As String
    Dim qdf As DAO.QueryDef
    Dim MyNumber As String

strSQL = "SELECT TOP "

MyNumber =

strSQL = strSQL & MyNumber
    strSQL = strSQL & " tblKanbansAvailable.Item, tblItems.Group, tblKanbansAvailable.DateTriggered, tblKanbansAvailable.Autonumber"
    strSQL = strSQL & " FROM tblKanbansAvailable INNER JOIN tblItems ON tblKanbansAvailable.Item = tblItems.Item;"

DoCmd.DeleteObject acQuery, "qryGroupAKanbansIssued"

CurrentDb.CreateQueryDef "qryGroupAKanbansIssued", strSQL

DoCmd.OpenQuery "qryGroupAKanbansIssued"

Exit_BuildQry:
    Exit Sub

Err_BuildQry:
    If Err.Number = 7874 Then
    Resume Next
    Else
    MsgBox Err.Number & " - " & Err.Description
    Resume Exit_BuildQry
    End If

End Sub

What I need to know how to do is set the value of MyNumber to a value located in a table named tblLevelAttainment and a field named Group1.

Can anyone help me with the proper lookup code for this?

Oh and currently running Access 2003
    Last edited by wrestleSBA; 02-23-06 at 17:35.

limit query results based on dynamic value

Allright guys here is the problem I am having... hopefully someone can help me with this as I have been struggling with it for a while now.

I need to create a query that only shows a limited number of responses. Typically this would be referred to as a Top N query where N is a number like 5, 25, 100, etc. In this case the value of N is static. However, I have a dynamic value that I require for N that could change daily. I would like to be able to pass this into a query (I know it takes VBA code) so that I do not have to adjust the query. The number N that I have is available from either the query where it is calculated or a table where it can be stored.

I have written some VBA code that works for limiting the number of query results when a static number is input now I just need to find out how to make it read in the number I need (I am pretty confident in that I can place it in the SQL string once I know it is available to the VBA code).

The code I have is as follows:

Option Compare Database
    Option Explicit

Sub qryTopNValues()

Dim strSQL As String
    Dim qdf As DAO.QueryDef
    Dim MyNumber As String

strSQL = "SELECT TOP "

MyNumber =

strSQL = strSQL & " tblKanbansAvailable.Item, tblItems.Group, tblKanbansAvailable.DateTriggered, tblKanbansAvailable.Autonumber"
    strSQL = strSQL & " FROM tblKanbansAvailable INNER JOIN tblItems ON tblKanbansAvailable.Item = tblItems.Item;"

Exit_BuildQry:
    Exit Sub

Err_BuildQry:
    Resume Next
    Else
    Resume Exit_BuildQry
    End If

End Sub

What I need to know how to do is set the value of MyNumber to a value located in a table named tblLevelAttainment and a field named Group1.

Can anyone help me with the proper lookup code for this?

Oh and currently running Access 2003

MyNumber = DLookup("Group1","[tblLevelAttainment]","SomeCondition=True")

Next question ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

M Owen,

Thanks for the reply but I can't seem to get it to work (I tried this earlier).

1) Do I need a condition listed?
    - the table set-up is as follows, if you can tell me how to set the condition I would be grateful.

Group 1--Group2--Group3--Group4
    1 -- 3 -- 2 -- 4

2) I have the code as follows:
    Option Compare Database
    Option Explicit

Sub qryTopNValues()

Dim strSQL As String
    Dim qdf As DAO.QueryDef
    Dim MyNumber As String

strSQL = "SELECT TOP "

MyNumber = DLookup("Group1", "[tblLevelAttainment]")

strSQL = strSQL & " tblKanbansAvailable.[Item], tblItems.[Group], tblKanbansAvailable.[DateTriggered], tblKanbansAvailable.[Autonumber]"
    strSQL = strSQL & " FROM tblKanbansAvailable INNER JOIN tblItems ON tblKanbansAvailable.[Item] = tblItems.[Item];"

Exit_BuildQry:
    Exit Sub

Err_BuildQry:
    Resume Next
    Else
    Resume Exit_BuildQry
    End If

End Sub

But I get the following error:

2001 - You canceled the previous operation

From what I can figure this is because the VB code is causing the query to ask for a parameter input which is then being cancelled. this could be ebcause of the condition check but I don't know.

Any ideas?

Provided Answers: 1
    Try DoCmd.Execute or DoCmd.RunSQL instead of your DAO calls. This is assuming you don't need the query after running this. Another possibility is to reference your dynamic value from the query and avoid this whole ordeal all-together:

SELECT TOP DLOOKUP("yourField", "yourTable") * FROM yourTable
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy
    Try DoCmd.Execute or DoCmd.RunSQL instead of your DAO calls. This is assuming you don't need the query after running this. Another possibility is to reference your dynamic value from the query and avoid this whole ordeal all-together:

SELECT TOP DLOOKUP("yourField", "yourTable") * FROM yourTable
    I will need to pull the values from this query at a later time so I will likely need to keep the query.

How would I reference the value from the query? This would certainly make thigns simpler as I wouldn't have to write new values to the table each time.

Sorry for bugging but I am very new at the VB in Access and SQL in general (have been creating simpler databases for quite a while though).

Is this a php, VB, or SQL question?

I'm assuming that it is just a SQL question:
    If that is your question, post your table structure (to the correct forum...this is the php forum ). But you'll probably want to do something like:
    Code:
    SELECT TOP 1 Group1 
    FROM tblLevelAttainment
    ORDER BY createdDate DESC
    ...maybe???

Is there anyone else out there who can help with this? Still looking for a solution or some help understanding those already offered.

Quote Originally Posted by wrestleSBA
    Is there anyone else out there who can help with this? Still looking for a solution or some help understanding those already offered.
    Back to your DLookup ... Is there only 1 record in the tblLevelAttainment table? If not, you NEED to put a condition in the DLookup to return EXACTLY 1 record ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Everyone thanks for your help. I have gotten things working now by using the following code I found in a very old thread on this forum. Thanks to everyone for trying to help with this problem. It was greatly appreciated.

Sub ScrollRS()
    Dim rs As DAO.Recordset ' not putting the DAO. in should eork but can do some very odd things
    Dim myCount As Integer
    Dim rsCount As Integer

Set rs = currentdb.OpenRecordset("tableName")
    rs.MoveLast
    myCount = rs.RecordCount
    rs.MoveFirst
    For rsCount = 0 To myCount - 1
    Debug.Print rsCount
    Debug.Print rs.Fields(0)
    Debug.Print rs.Fields(1)
    rs.MoveNext
    Next rsCount

'close recordset
    rs.Close
    End Sub

take a look at dlookup() in VBA help
    depending on what determines N, you might also want to check out other domain agregate functions like dcount(), dmax(), dmin() etc

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2