Unanswered: Adding Word Files

Hi there,

I am just contimplating the best way to add word files into my database. I know you can add them as objects, however when they appear on the form they seem a bit 'messy'.

Does anyone have anytips how to make this look more professional, perhaps the use of links, or buttons?

Many thanks in advance, Ross

Provided Answers: 59
    Generally speaking I'd keep them outside the db, store a pointer (url) to the document and open the document on request via a hyperlink.

If you are concerned about security of the document then you need to consider your network permissions. If the document is read only then consoder changing the stroage format to something like Acrobat.

The problem of storing the document outside the db is that it can be modified / deleted or otherwise manipulated without the db being aware.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by healdem
    Generally speaking I'd keep them outside the db, store a pointer (url) to the document and open the document on request via a hyperlink.

If you are concerned about security of the document then you need to consider your network permissions. If the document is read only then consoder changing the stroage format to something like Acrobat.

The problem of storing the document outside the db is that it can be modified / deleted or otherwise manipulated without the db being aware.
    Thanks Mark, that seems the way forward. Wioth regards to security, I am planning on having 2general types of users, ones with admin rights who have authority to add, modifity, delete etc and other who just have read only. What would you recommed the best way to go about this would be? I have heard something about setting up work groups?

At the moment I have a login screen, if you logon as admin, this takes you to one form, if you logon as student, this takes you to another - is there a way I can combine this workgroups?

Cheers,

Ross

Provided Answers: 59
    the problem is how you control access to the data that is stroed outside the db

just settingthe security element within access constrains things within access.
    if you set network permissions appropriately then you define 2 groups , admins who can add, modify or delete files on the sepcified location, users who can view (read) files on the specified location, and by defitnion anyone else who can't even see the files.
    HTH
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Mark is spot on and his recommendations are about standard practice in most circumstances.

However, if you chose to store the documents outside the database and then automate their opening from Access you can specify that a word document open Read Only as an argument of the open method, The problem of managing the security of files outside of a database remains however you can limit the permissions of the user to the document as opened by the database.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.