Unanswered: Automatic Table and Constrains Creation via ERD Diagram

Hi Guys,

I just want to inquire something,

Normally how does dba's create huge databases with large amount of tables and constrains?

Is there any tool which allows me to sketch my erd diagram, define primary key, foreign key and then, it will automatically create all this db objects for me?

Because if i would had to do it manually, i might miss out some constrains or some relationship between tables and another reason is its much faster to sketch the erd diagram rather than creating all those tables through scripts..

appreciate for any feedback/comments

thanks

Provided Answers: 4
    You don't have to go far from Oracle - install Designer, read documentation and off you go.

Shortly: using Entity Relationship Diagrammer create (or should one say draw) tables and relations between them. Using the Database Design Transformer generate tables into the repository.

Once being there, use Design Editor to create table in the database.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlefoot
    You don't have to go far from Oracle - install Designer, read documentation and off you go.

Shortly: using Entity Relationship Diagrammer create (or should one say draw) tables and relations between them. Using the Database Design Transformer generate tables into the repository.

Once being there, use Design Editor to create table in the database.

Is the name of the tool called "Designer" ? Bundled together within oracle..?

Yes; it is downloadable from this Oracle Technology Network page.

Thanks for the link..i will try it out..

I didn't know of Oracle designer. Is it only included in the "Internet developer suite" or can it be bought stand-alone ? Would it be free, by any chance ?

Thanks & regards,

rbaraer
    ORA-000TK : No bind variable detected... Shared Pool Alert code 5 - Nuclear query ready .

It is installed as a part of the Oracle 10g Developer Suite. Free? Nothing more and nothing less than (majority of) other Oracle products

It is installed as a part of the Oracle 10g Developer Suite. Free? Nothing more and nothing less than (majority of) other Oracle products
    Well, with JDeveloper that has gone free a few months ago, Oracle XE and SQL Developer (ex Project Raptor) which are free, I had a little hope.

Thanks & Regards,

rbaraer
    ORA-000TK : No bind variable detected... Shared Pool Alert code 5 - Nuclear query ready .

How do you like Raptor (if you tried it)?

I can compare it to TOAD, which reached 8th release (maybe even higher?) while Raptor is still a baby. Some things I prefer better; for example, when writing procedures, it is possible to "shrink" loops or IF-THEN-ELSEs so that you can hide the code you're not particullary interested in at the moment.

What I miss is multple opened windows: I'd like to have, at the same time, both SQL Worksheet (perhaps a few of them) AND schema browser.

I didn't test it much, but what I've seen - I must admit that I like it.

I tried it but not so much, so I prefer not to give a real advice for now, but it seems very promising. I don't have TOAD so I can't compare to it, but I'm using TOra which also has multiple windows feature and I really like it too.

BTW I'm quite happy that Raptor comes out because TOra is not totally 10g compliant (it's free and quite good but the creator has been employed by Quest software maybe one year ago or so ) and my boss wouldn't have liked to pay for TOAD. Since Oracle will support Raptor in its production release, I think we can hope it gets very good and complete. Maybe you won't have to renew your TOAD licence ?

Regards,

rbaraer

You could also look into the ERwin data modeling tool.
    It is fairly robust and used throughout the industry.

In my design experience that is all I have used to create full database Build.
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

Oracle Designer does everything imaginable and has the best integration with Oracle, but it is a bit of a monster and it certainly is not free.

I really like ER/Studio from Embarcadero. Not free either, but you get what you pay for