Unanswered: Select row from Recordset

I have opened a query in some VBA code using the OpenRecordSet command and am trying to pull data out of it for use in the VBA code.

This particular query has 1 row and 5 columns.

I can get the data from the first row and any of the clumns using rs.Fields(#) for any particular column I want 1-5 by replacing # with the column.

However I do not know how to specfy that I want something from a row other than row 1. For example the data I need is in column five of each Row.

Can anyone tell me how to get to the other rows of data?

can't
    This particular query has 1 row and 5 columns.
    Can anyone tell me how to get to the other rows of data?

...don't blame me - that's what you said in your post.

some possibilities:

loop through your recordset with the .movenext method, collecting what you need as you go.

feed a list from your query: you can address the list as an array
    someValue = myList.column(intColumn, intRow)

if you are in ADO, i believe it has a .getrows method which sticks a rst into an array: try VBA help.

can you do it direct in your query: if you are trying to sum "column 5" you are by far better off doing this in the query rather than messing around in a recordset

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Since we're gonna pile on ... A query has no rows ever ... A RESULT set does ... As Izy noted, use your fav looping mechanism using the MoveNext method ...

Hey Izy: DAO recordsets don't start with a column # of zero? ADO does ... That can also cause confusion ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Mike,

i saw your (i think your) post a few days ago, about using the index rather than the names... i wasn't convinced since names haven't bitten me in the bum so far...

...so i have absolutely no idea at all whether a DAO rst column index is 0 or 1 based.

gut tells me 0-based, but you could very well be right.

how about that ADO rst.getrows method tho? i'm not aware of an equiv in DAO. i'm not an ADO person, but i bumped into it a few days ago looking for something else ...looks pretty cute if you have to mess around in a random-access fashion with row/col in a modest-sized rst. does it work as advertised?

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Quote Originally Posted by izyrider
    gut tells me 0-based
    Correctamundo. Only library I know that is 1 based is Excel. Oh - and Outlook
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Quote Originally Posted by izyrider
    Mike,

i saw your (i think your) post a few days ago, about using the index rather than the names... i wasn't convinced since names haven't bitten me in the bum so far...

...so i have absolutely no idea at all whether a DAO rst column index is 0 or 1 based.

gut tells me 0-based, but you could very well be right.

how about that ADO rst.getrows method tho? i'm not aware of an equiv in DAO. i'm not an ADO person, but i bumped into it a few days ago looking for something else ...looks pretty cute if you have to mess around in a random-access fashion with row/col in a modest-sized rst. does it work as advertised?

izy
    About the only time that that can happen is if you have X cols of the same name from separate tables pulled in a query WHERE the same name columns are not aliased.

GetRows: Not random access ... Pulls the specified # of rows (or entire) recordset into a 2 dim array ... Does work. Used it a long time ago ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...