Thread: RMAN Restore

Unanswered: RMAN Restore

How do you restore backup sets and controlfiles that were deleted out of the catalog?

We need to restore an archive log that was backed up 7 days ago but it has been deleted and no longer in the catalog but we restored the backup files from tape to a different drive.

Cool

You could try:
    Code:
    RESTORE ARCHIVELOG <range> FROM '<file name>';

Last edited by LKBrwn_DBA; 02-28-06 at 18:12.
    The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Thank you but it did not work. I got the error:

RMAN-00571: ================================================== =========
    RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
    RMAN-00571: ================================================== =========
    RMAN-03002: failure of restore command at 02/28/2006 20:03:39
    RMAN-06509: only SPFILE or controlfile can be restored from autobackup

Cool

Maybe the syntax is incorrect, but I once had to recover around 12 archive logs from an RMAN backup taken with the nocatalog option and that (or similar) was the command.

Good luck!
    The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

You need to restore 1 archive log? Does that mean that you have a backupset that was created prior to that archive log? And that you either only have one archive log to apply - or that you lost just this one and have the rest of the archive logs ready?

I have an RMAN manual that I could look through for something like this, but if you don't have all of the pieces in place you won't be able to recover and then restore.

-Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by israel05
    How do you restore backup sets and controlfiles that were deleted out of the catalog?

We need to restore an archive log that was backed up 7 days ago but it has been deleted and no longer in the catalog but we restored the backup files from tape to a different drive.
    Could you use the CATALOG ARCHIVELOG <filename> command to add the file(s) back into the repository?

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Thank you all for your responses, the database would not open no matter what I did so I just failed over to my standby.

Quote Originally Posted by israel05

You would need to throw the TAPE backups onto disk (including controlfile) then rename the init.ora controlfile to the tape backup controlfile. The Tape backup controlfile will look for the rman backups in the original location that you backup your database so make sure you have your tape backup in that location.
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...