Question Unanswered: Database taken offline

Over the weekend I had one of my databases taken offline. To my knowledge no one explicitly took this database offline. This isn't to say that someone did and is refusing to speak up. I'm just trying to find some answers.

I do know that our IT dept. did maintenance to a number of our servers and they swear nothing was done to this one. So my question is, "Is there any SQL process that can take a database offline."

I've checked the log files but there isn't anything that directly points to that database being taken offline.

Running Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP4, SQL 2000 SP3 on a NT INTEL X86 platform.

Any ideas or comments are appreciated!

Just to clarify for my own sake, you mean that an individual database resident on the SQL Server was placed in an "offline" status? Equivalent to the process of right-clicking on the database (in EM), and selecting "all tasks | take offline"?

Thx,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Yes, that's exactly what I am saying and since I didn't do it then how did it happen.

Thanks,
    Mike

Provided Answers: 11
    Scan through the SQL Server errorlogs to see if there are any suspicious errors around the time of the maintenance. After every reboot, there should be some messages about recoverng each user database. Also, did the database come back online with no errors when you found it?

I manually brought it online and it came up with no errors.

The error logs show the database entry, Starting up database 'dbname' but other than that it is the only entry for this database during the two days in which it could have occured.

Thanks,
    Mike

This database does not have Auto-Close set on by chance, does it?

No, it does not. I am beginning to think someone manually took this database offline and is not owning up to it.

I am starting to think that is the case, as well. But, just to be safe, see if you can run dbcc checkdb on this database, just to be sure. Depending on the size/traffic that may need to wait for an off hour, but it rules out the most serious of causes.

I will do that and should anything show up I will start a new thread - this one is done.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by mkal
    I will do that and should anything show up I will start a new thread - this one is done.

Thanks again.
    Done except for one suggestion: consider removing the BUILTIN\Administrator account from the database server. That should lock out your Domain admins or Server Admins from getting into the db and, um, "doing" things. Also assign a strong password to the SA account and then never use it. Set an alert to page yourself in case of a failed login attempt for the SA account.

I have done all these things here; it occasionally causes me pain (like when I can't talk someone through a solution because they don't have access rights), but the reward is that I very rarely (really never) have an issue with something in the config changing unexpectedly.

I created a domain group called SQL Admin and placed myself in the group and the group in each SQL server (assigning the group the sysadmin privilege). That way, if I ever get hit by a bus (or win the lottery) the company only has to add another user to the SQL Admin domain group and presto, they have all the same rights as me.

'Course, the Domain Admins could do that right now and gain control over the dbs, but it's usually easier for them to call me to handle something.

BTW, before you go removing the BUILTIN\Administrator group from SQL Server, be sure to read all the warnings from MS. Especially if you are running a clustered db.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?