Unanswered: starting the listener on Novell

Hi guys,

I searched for this, but didn't find anything in the first few pages. Maybe I'm blind. Saw a lot of references to "listener is already started" and the like, but no directions on how to start it, or links to directions.

How do you start the listener on a Novell network? I'm a Novell newbie, so if you go slow and step by step that would be totally awesome.

Thank you in advanced! I'm sure it's simple, I just don't know how to do it. Did a google search, and it covers it for NT and 2000 and Windows networks, but not Novell.

Cool

You could try:

Start>Control Panel>Network Connections>
    Select connection Properties>Install>Protocol
    Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    If this protocol is enabled, then all ok.

PS: Configure the listener.ora file accordingly. You start listener from:
    Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services
    The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Do you mean Novell Netware?

Here's the link for Net8 Admin Guide for NetWare.

http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/pdf/A83764_01.pdf

Good luck.

LKBrwn_DBA--does this work for systems using Novell Netware? I've seen these instructions for windows networks.

Red Dog--thanks for the link, but it's not working. Looks like you need to be logged into Oracle Support to get at it?

Ack, duped my post.

Okay, I seem to have found it...

At the command prompt (be it a Novell Netware machine, Windows, etc.) you type in LSNRCTL . That'll put you into a LSNRCTL prompt, from which you can start listener, stop listener, etc.

Simple, obviously. Just have to know what it is I guess.

Thanks for everyone's help!
    Last edited by domini; 03-01-06 at 17:30.

Cool

Starting the listener from the command prompt is tha same as starting listener from: Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services.

The difference would be that you can set it up in "Services" to start automatically when server is re-booted.

The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by LKBrwn_DBA

Starting the listener from the command prompt is tha same as starting listener from: Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services.

The difference would be that you can set it up in "Services" to start automatically when server is re-booted.

Not on a Novell server. The listener is started as an NLM and LSNRCTL is run to pass the listener commands. Novell servers (until recently) had no GUI interface to administer the NLM's and they had to be hand scripted to autostart.

To administer the listener on a Novell system uses different processes then a windows machine, which is different from a Unix machine. Novell has nothing called services, through the NLM's are the closest thing to windows services, but with differences.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Cool

Sorry, thanks for setting things straight!