Unanswered: Simplify (and Correct) a query

Iíve got a table called tblApplicant_Details with the following fields - Applicant_ID, Application_ID, Net_Income, Loans.

In this table Iíve got a list of people and their income details (Net_Income) and expenses (loans). In some cases there will be 2 applicants with the same application_ID.

What I need to do is select one applicant (Applicant_ID) per application (Application_ID). In the case of 2 applicants for an application, I need to select the person with the highest income (net_income - loans), if both of the applicants have the same income I want the one with the lowest Applicant_ID and if only one person applies then that person.

Below is the code Iíve been using. Iíve noticed that its not always selecting an applicant for each application. I know itís also very long for what I am trying to do but I was hoping someone would be able to tell me how I can fix it and tidy it up a bit.

Code:
    SELECT     Application_ID, MIN(Applicant_ID) AS Applicant_ID
    FROM         (SELECT     DERIVEDTBL.Application_ID, dbo.tblAPPLICANT_DETAILS.Applicant_ID
                  FROM (SELECT     MAX(APPLICANT.Net_Income - APPLICANT.Loans) AS Income, APPLICATION.Application_ID
                           FROM dbo.tblAPPLICANT_DETAILS APPLICANT INNER JOIN 
                           dbo.tblAPPLICATION_DETAILS APPLICATION ON APPLICANT.Application_ID = APPLICATION.Application_ID
                           GROUP BY APPLICATION.Application_ID) DERIVEDTBL INNER JOIN
                            dbo.tblAPPLICANT_DETAILS ON DERIVEDTBL.Application_ID = dbo.tblAPPLICANT_DETAILS.Application_ID AND 
                            DERIVEDTBL.Income = dbo.tblAPPLICANT_DETAILS.Net_Income - Loans) DERIVEDTBL
    GROUP BY Application_ID
    Thanks

Code:
    select tm1.* from 
      (select Applicant_ID,
       Application_ID,
       Net_Income-Loans as Net
      from  APPLICATION 
      ) as tm1 
       join
       (
        select  Application_ID,
         max(Net_Income-Loans) as maxNet
        from  APPLICATION
        group by Application_ID
       )as tm 
       on tm.Application_ID=tm1.Application_ID
       and tm1.Net=tm.maxNet
    where tm1.Applicant_ID=(
                                        select  min(Applicant_ID) 
                                        from  APPLICATION 
                                        where  App.Application_ID=tm1.Application_ID 
                                        and Net_Income-Loans=tm1.Net
                                      )

I love cursor,though I never use it.Cos' I dont want to misuse it.
    ----------------------------------------------

----cheers
    ----http://mallier.blogspot.com

Thanks for your reply Mallier. That works perfectly (and looks a lot tidier!).

C

Sorry,alias name 'App' have missed(somehow ) from my previous post.Corrected one is,
    Code:
    select tm1.* from (select Applicant_ID, Application_ID, Net_Income-Loans as Net from APPLICATION ) as tm1 join ( select Application_ID, max(Net_Income-Loans) as maxNet from APPLICATION group by Application_ID )as tm on tm.Application_ID=tm1.Application_ID and tm1.Net=tm.maxNet where tm1.Applicant_ID=( select min(Applicant_ID) from APPLICATION App where App.Application_ID=tm1.Application_ID and Net_Income-Loans=tm1.Net )
    I love cursor,though I never use it.Cos' I dont want to misuse it.
    ----------------------------------------------

----cheers
    ----http://mallier.blogspot.com