Unanswered: count records in a filtered report

Hi. I have a search form that opens a report based on the whereclause in the search form:
    Input form code:

'If only a County is selected, then whereclause will just be for records for county
    If Not IsNull(lstCounty) Then
    Whereclause = "[COUNTY] = '" & lstCounty & "'"
    End If

'If County and Township is selected
    If Not IsNull(lstTownship) Then
    If Whereclause <> "" Then Whereclause = Whereclause & " AND "
    Whereclause = Whereclause & "[TWP] = '" & lstTownship & "'"
    End If

'If County and Township and Section is selected
    If Not IsNull(lstSection) Then
    If Whereclause <> "" Then Whereclause = Whereclause & " AND "
    Whereclause = Whereclause & "[SECTION] = '" & lstSection & "'"
    End If

DoCmd.OpenReport "St_Report", acViewPreview, , Whereclause

Once the report opens, I would like to have a text box that says how many of the records, (after the whereclause has been implemented) are nonconfidential. Confidential (Y or N) is a field in the underlying query for the report. So, if a person chooses to view records for just a county I could have this in a textbox:
    #1.
    =DCount("[CONFIDENTIAL]", "Header", "[COUNTY] = '" & lstCounty & "' And [CONFIDENTIAL] = 'N'")

#2.
    If they want to view records from a township then I would have this in a text box:
    =DCount("[CONFIDENTIAL]", "Header", "[COUNTY] = '" & lstCounty & "' And "[TWP] = '" & lstTownship & "' [CONFIDENTIAL] = 'N'")

#3 would have Section included

But instead of having multiple text boxes for every scenario, is there a way where I can say If only county is selected use the #1 Dcount, if county and township use #2 Dcount

Hope this makes sense. Thanks

Provided Answers: 1
    If your parameter form is still open, you could reference that directly and use the desired formula:

iif(nz(forms!yourParamForm!county, "") = "",
    DCount("[CONFIDENTIAL]", "Header", "[COUNTY] = '" & lstCounty & "' And [CONFIDENTIAL] = 'N'"),
    DCount("[CONFIDENTIAL]", "Header", "[COUNTY] = '" & lstCounty & "' And "[TWP] = '" & lstTownship & "' [CONFIDENTIAL] = 'N'"))
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Thank you for your response. I am not sure where I would put the code you sent. Would it go in the control source for the textbox or somewhere in the report event in vba. Thanks!

Andrew

In the textbox on your report, wherever you're displaying it.

Provided Answers: 6
    Perhaps I'm missing something, but wouldn't this be easier? A textbox in the appropriate footer (group, report or both):

=Sum(IIf(Confidential = "N",1,0))
    Paul

Thank you both. Yea Pbaldy, that sum works. Thank you! I didnt know it was that easy.

Andrew

Thank you both. Yea Pbaldy, that sum works. Thank you! I didnt know it was that easy.

Andrew

I seem to recall something about swatting at flies with a sledgehammer... oh yeah, that's 40% of my posts...

*smacks forehead*

Provided Answers: 6
    Teddy, I knew you were going to whack your head when I posted that. I suspect this is one of those times when you get so focused on fixing what somebody posts you forget about the simpler ways. I know because I do it all the time myself, and end up whacking my own head.
    Paul

I have another question if you guys know off hand. My report also has a subreport with fields like this for wells:
    Unit Depth Lithology
    1 0 soil
    2 20 shale
    3 33.5 coal
    4 37 limestone
    5 67 coal

My subreport has a different underlying query to it. (There are tables that link the records to each other). Is there some way i can have a sum function in the report (*not subreport) header that gets the sum of records where a lithology is coal. So, for example, the above record will count as one. Since it has at least one coal unit. Thanks.