Unanswered: some things not working in 2005 and working in 2000

hi

I had a view in which I did something like this
    isnull(fld,val) as 'alias'

when I assign a value to this in the client (vb 6.0) it works ok in sql2000 but fails in 2005.
    When I change the query to fld as 'alias' then it works ok in sql 2005 .
    why ?? I still have sql 2000 (8.0) compatability.

Also some queries which are pretty badly written run on sql 2000 but dont run at all in sql 2005 ???

any clues or answers ?? it is some configuration issue ?

Thanks in advance.

Provided Answers: 6
    Quote Originally Posted by San2006
    Also some queries which are pretty badly written run on sql 2000 but dont run at all in sql 2005 ???

any clues or answers ?? it is some configuration issue ?
    yeah, err uh, my friend at some other company encountered something like this during a test upgrade. he is supposed to go to the Microsoft building up the street to investigate with some of their techies in the next month or so. I will let you know what he finds out. I have some theories.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 54
    The Native SQL driver in the MDAC that ships with SQL 2005 is a bit less forgiving than the one that shipped with SQL 2000. This is actually as it should be, even though it breaks some very badly written code that had worked with previous versions of SQL Server.

You should find that even the old applications fail (against either SQL 2000 or SQL 2005 servers) on a client machine running the new MDAC.

-PatP

Provided Answers: 1
    You have a view in 2000 where isnull(fld,val) is an updatable field? I'm a little incredulous.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Provided Answers: 6
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    The Native SQL driver in the MDAC that ships with SQL 2005 is a bit less forgiving than the one that shipped with SQL 2000. This is actually as it should be, even though it breaks some very badly written code that had worked with previous versions of SQL Server.

You should find that even the old applications fail (against either SQL 2000 or SQL 2005 servers) on a client machine running the new MDAC.

-PatP
    I am sorry, this makes me quesy. I am already falling behind on the new toys. This weekend I have been shopping around for a new pc that will be suitable for 2k5 and that is going to be $1200 bare bones minimum for a decent machine.

Now I am starting to sweat because I am supposed to test one of my employers apps against 2005 which has a few hundred thousands lines of sql at least. A good share of it written by developers and I have yet to rectify some of the nastier bits and I know it is just a matter of time before one of our customers asks about a 2005 implimentation and now you are telling me that some of this stuff is going to perform worse.

Damn it. Time to build that cabin in West Virginia and not ever come off the mountain.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrasymachus
    Damn it. Time to build that cabin in West Virginia and not ever come off the mountain.
    You can call it "Brokecode" mountain....
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com