Hello,

I am new to databases, and this is my first post here. I am trying to make a simple French-English (and English-French) dictionary. Each word can have more than one definition, but every word + definition combination uniquely identifies a single part of speech (i.e. adjective, noun, etc.). Each word will have 1 or more phonetic spellings. For French nouns, the gender (male or female) must be specified. And for French adjectives, if the female spelling is different, it must be specified. Lastly, each word may include 0 or more examples of the word used in a sentence.

So far, my table design is as follows:

table english_dictionary
eng_word_id
word
definition
part_of_speech

table english_phonetic
eng_word_id
phonetic_spelling

table english_examples
eng_word_id
example

table french_dictionary
french_word_id
word
definition
part_of_speech

table french_phonetic
french_word_id
phonetic_spelling

table french_noun_gender
french_word_id
table french_adj_fem
french_word_id
feminine_spelling

table french_examples
french_word_id
example

english_dictionary and french_dictionary will be linked together in a many-to-many relationship.
english_dictionary will be linked to english_phonetic and english_examples using one-to-many relationships.
french_dictionary will be linked to french_phonetic, french_noun_gender, french_adj_fem and french_examples using one-to-many relationships.

Can anyone tell me if I am going in the right direction with this design? I have tried to make my tables 3rd Normal Form. Are there any obvious problems that I am missing?

Thank you for your help with this design.

Sincerely,
Kyle Renwick