Unanswered: SQL Server 2005 install messed up my DSL connection

I installed the evaluation version of SQL Server 2005 and now my DSL connection on Windows XP is all fouled up; I'm using Server 2003 at the moment. Will uninstalling it get rid of the problem? First Oracle eats my DSL connection, now SQL wants a piece!

Provided Answers: 54
    I've never heard of such a thing. I'd like to know more as you figure it out!

-PatP

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    I've never heard of such a thing. I'd like to know more as you figure it out!

-PatP

So would I....my DSL connection mysteriously kicked back in right after I asked my husband to take a look at my computer. I installed SQL Server 2005 on Windows XP but I have a dual XP/Server 2003 boot, so I was able to use the internet on 2003 but not XP. It just came back on on its own this morning...it was the weirdest thing.

While we're on the subject...SQL Server 2005 runs so slowly on my XP box. I only have 512 MB of RAM, so maybe that's why...but it's so slow. Server 2000 on Windows 2003 is very peppy and zippy!

Provided Answers: 6
    yeah the beta ran slow on my laptop that is running 512 MB of RAM. I have been shopping around for a new PC. The hardware requirements suggest a gig of ram and I am also looking for a 2 ghz processor.

you might be able slip another 512 mb card in if you have another slot. just make sure you get the right kind of card. it is pretty easy to do
    Last edited by Thrasymachus; 03-05-06 at 19:03.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 54
    All releases of SQL Server seem grumpy (slow and tempermental) for me on virtual machines, so I've never given that much credence. I don't have easy access to a physical machine with 512 Mb or less, so I can't easily offer an opinion.

I'll see if I can scare a 512 Mb machine up to test this.

-PatP