Question Unanswered: SQL Server 2005 Express Remote Admin firewall issues

Hi,

I'm experiencing problems connecting remotely (through the Management Studio) to a named instance of SQL Server Express 2005.

After investigation I determined it was a firewall issue - turn off windows firewall and I can connect fine. I initially added ports 1433 and 1434 to windows firewall - still no joy. Then I added the binaries explicitly (sqlservr.exe and sqlbrowsr.exe - or whatever they are) - still no joy. So, I looked into the firewall log to see what was being dropped. I found that my IP was trying to connect via port 1047 (TCP)... I've searched for anything about this on google and cannot find any indication that the management studio should be using this port to connect.

If I add this port, the connection works fine. Has anyone else experienced this ? As there seems to be no way of modifying the management studio to connect via a specific port, I'm a bit concerned that something is just not right.

I would appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks.

Silly me....

After bothering to check the server configuration manager settings (under SQL Server Network Configuration / Protocols) I found that all my IP's were assigned to use a Dynamic Port (as I'm using a named instance, rather than the default).. which was set as 1047.