Unanswered: Parse , or | delimited string inside a stored procedure

How can I parse a comma or pipe delimited string inside an Informix stored procedure? What are the various functions that can help me get this done? Thanks for taking a look. Best regards.

New York
    what are you trying to accomplish? provide the exemple if you can

you can uase the FOR loop for parsing

Thanks artemka for your reply. The thing I am trying to do is - I will be getting a string that is having different names (or whatever you may consider) separated by a delimiter. This is a work-around to passing an array into a stored procedure. Now I want to get individual elements out of it.

For loop is okay, I will have to use it - but do we have
    1. any informix function that gives tokens out of the strings provided a delimiter?
    2. or that gives the first index of a character (that will be , or |) and then I can use SUBSTR to get the substrings.

Thanks for your response once again. Best regards.

Okay, got something. Here is the function to do this - haven't tested if it works for me but yes I have the tools (functions) to make it possible now..
    CREATE PROCEDURE Cut (string VARCHAR(255), delimiter CHAR(1))
      DEFINE res VARCHAR(255);
      LET loc = FindStr(string, delimiter);
      IF loc = 0 THEN
        RETURN string;
      END IF;
      LET res = '';
      FOR i = 1 TO loc - 1
        LET res = res || string[1,1];
        LET string = string[2,255];
      END FOR;
      RETURN res;
    But again, I have another question linked to it. If I increase the length of the argument from 255 to anything like 10000 or something. It gives an error saying maximum length has been exceeded.

What would I do to take care of strings quite longer in size? What is the datatype that I can use? Text? The input will be a big one for me.

Text data type seems to be the one right for such big input but the thing is that I am not sure if the function FindStr would work on it? Will it? I see that we can retrieve part of the Text using start and end bytes. But to find that I need to use FindStr.

What do you suggest I must do? Best regards.