Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Unanswered: Display any database on the web

Hello. I've been searching for a couple of hours online and can't quite seem to find what I'm looking for. I've found plenty of database administration programs, but that's not what I need.

I'm looking for a program (or online service or whatever) that has the ability to basically take any database I choose and display the information within on a web page in which others can access. Such as, if my company wants to take on a few other company's databases and have them log in to our server through the web to display information from their (and only their) database dynamically on the web, then this program allows me to set all of that up. Information could be formatted in tables, charts, etc., whatever the program is capable of. Is there such a thing and where can I find more information?

Thanks for everyone's help. :-)

Provided Answers: 6
    eeerrr, ummmmm, there is nothing generic to my knowledge. there was some iis based database admin tool that was available on the MS site a while ago. i never got to check it out.

if you want web pages this is generally what application programmers do with ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, etc...

there is a way to expose your sql server to the internet where others can access it through sql server tools but this is beyond stupid if you care at all about security.

i did read an article in the washington post about some company in maryland called logixml or something where they were trying to build a web based tool to allow any old user to write queries. talk about bad ideas and things I have seen fail in the past.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Smile

Yes, security is a major concern as always. Though I'm becoming one of the main programmers at my company in VB.NET and ASP.NET, I do not have the knowledge or time to create an entire solution myself. I was hoping there was something already out there. We also wouldn't need to allow other businesses to put in their own custom queries. Just some set queries (even if it must display absolutely everything or something) would work and as I said, there's no need to actually change or add any information, just display it.

Thanks for your help. Any other suggestions? :-)

the quickest way to do this might be to look into the XML and Internet Support in Books Online.

I have been messing around with this a little bit lately and it is pretty easy to create basic web pages based on queries and such. Of course you might want to apply some style sheets because users generally do not like it unless it is pretty.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Smile

I'm not sure if you understand what I need. I can't create something static on a per database basis. I need a program that can take ANY database I throw at it and display it's information on the web, preferably with a way to of course limit certain databases and information to certain users. This all happens dynamically of course with little effort (if any) on my part for setting it up. :-)

the data would not be static but yes you would have to configure it for certain views and databases. you can always write queries that write other queries if you know your way around the system catalogue to get generic select statements for tables.

but I am afraid what you want is something for nothing. if there was a little application writing Genie, there would be no need for guys like us. Sorry.

Talking

Errr.... I'm not really looking for anyone here to make me something. I was just trying to get some input for any commercial programs out there that may do what I want. As I'm definitely not a database person (though I do know a bit of sql), I couldn't build anything myself and it would take too long anyway. I think I just came across something that may be what I was looking for, if you would like an example. The link is here: http://www.apexsql.com/sql_tools_report.asp

But, if anyone knows of any other commercial software or anything similar, please let me know. Thanks. :-)

how is this any different than Crystal Reports for the web or SQL Reporting Services? This is still going to require a good deal work. it is not going to be plug and play and good report writers still have to write SQL, the process still takes time and money. I was not implying that you wanted us to do something for you.

And by the way the reports are going to be different for each database. Are you a first year developer?

I know of Crystal Reports though I've never used it before but I'm not familiar with SQL Reporting Services. As I said, I'm not a database person, I barely know some SQL. I've only barely started programming in VB.NET and ASP.NET. I was hired as an experienced system administrator and now I'm being turned into a programmer. I was thrown into a two week training boot camp to get my MCAD.NET and MCSD.NET certifications and that's more or less all I've done. I've had some decent C++ and Java programming experience in the past, but this is still all fairly new to me. My supervisor asked me to look for a program as I have specified. He is far more experienced than me (though still no database person) and just wanted to know what's out there. We do have some time and definitely have the money if we can find a product that will work well enough for us. I realize there will be a bit of work, but it cannot require us to re-write the whole thing or something. I also realize that reports will be different for each database but that's what we need---Reports for any database that we have that only certain people can see over the web.

I'm sorry if I have wasted your time and you think that I'm a noob and that this is all common information to you, but it is not to me and I can't seem to find all that much online about it, so I was asking for help/suggestions. Again, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LittlBUGer
    I need a program that can take ANY database I throw at it and display it's information on the web, preferably with a way to of course limit certain databases and information to certain users. This all happens dynamically of course with little effort (if any) on my part for setting it up. :-)
    you are changing your story and any report writer is not going to be as simple as as this statement. although I missed the emoticon and you should have used the sarcasm one and not the happy one.

do yourself a favor and hire a development dba who understands relational theory (rules me out) and\or a report writer otherwise you are going to go through hell getting this done right

Smile

Well, I've just had an update on requirements. I would need to know if there's a commercial program out there that can do charts, tables, AND maps all in the same software package. The maps would be based off of agricultural data (in our case). Thanks. :-)

As far as my story, nothing has changed at all. Surely there has to be programs out there that can take any MS SQL database and display some information from it.

Provided Answers: 1
    There are programming packages that will do this, including Crystal Reports and Active Reports. But of course, you have to write the programs for your particular requirements. There are no rules for database schemas or design, so nobody can write a universal interface application. It's possible that there is a product that would display administrative functionality such as Enterprise Manager does, but it would be limited to administrative scope and would not be the sort of thing you would want to expose to your clients.

Sorry. But nobody on this forum has ever heard of a product that does what you are asking.

Good luck.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Wait, does an experienced database developer count as a "product"??

..especially if one of the requirements of the product is that money is no object???

hmmm...WHERE in Montana are you?
    aka "Paul"
    Non est ei similis.

I just read "100 Things To Do Before You Die". I was surprised that "Yell for help!!" wasn't one of them

I think there are more people in the county I work than there are in Montana. Now that I think about that I am not sure if Montana would be better or worse. Might be relaxing. Might get boring.

Smile

Yes Montana is a great place and yes we don't have that many people. In the city I live (Billings), which is the biggest in Montana, we have around 150,000 people and the entire state shares the same area code. It's a great place to live and we have all of the same stuff that any very big city has, just in smaller varieties (no, we don't ride on horses to go everywhere!).

As for a job here, if you are looking for a full time database developer position, then we may be interested in the next coming weeks (it all depends if we get a certain contract or not). Unless you were being completely sarcastic, then just let me know if you are interested.