Thread: Normalisation

Post Unanswered: Normalisation

What do i need to do to normalise my tables? from un normalised to BCNF...please help, i need tips on what steps i need to take to do this! Thank You..

could you please remove or at least tone down to about one fiftieth size that humungous advert in your sig?

that's really offensive
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Provided Answers: 1
    Also, please restrict questions to a bit more limited scope here. When did class start?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Provided Answers: 59
    Quote Originally Posted by r937
    could you please remove or at least tone down to about one fiftieth size that humungous advert in your sig?

that's really offensive
    c'mon guys be fair to him - he's a boro supporter, what else do you expect? taste, sophistication...... I think glen has done really, really well to get this far
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Post Normalisation

Jesus christ guys! do you want to get any harsher? When i signed up i got an email saying enjoy ya stay and welcome to our friendly community! look! i might not be a pro in a database application but i try! and i do know alot of stuff! i get confused with Normalisation so dont even bother trying to say am stupid! What a bunch a nasty people! Chill out....

Provided Answers: 59
    A good first reference point for normalisation / database design in my view is the spiel from Paul Litwin, republished on rudy (r937's) site. There are other resources to help, again some of them are helpfully listed on rudys site.

Glen as a general rule you will get a 'good' answer to a 'good' question. Your question is to vague and to general and also smacks a lot of homework. Sadly too many pupils / students try with varying degrees of ingenuity to get people here to do their homework for them. If smoked out, they will get a very hostile response, sadly it can also bounce onto people genuinely struggling to get to grips with things.

If you want a good response, especailly to 'noobie' questions it would help you if you show what you have done, where you have hit a problem. Generally the site is about provide help with specific problems, not really general concepts.

Some people try to use the site as a review of what they have done - I'd suggest caution at using the site as an approval mechanism unless you are certain there is a problem with your work, and you are seeking clarifiactiojn of your suspiscions.

basically the forum is freindly & welcoming, especially when the questioner as for help woth a specific problem area.

HTH
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thumbs up Thanks..

Yeh i understand mate, thanks alot for your help..sorry am such a noobie! I dnt really work on databases that much, access anyway. Its just a project for uni but honestly av not come here to cheat. I was just wondering how to break normalisation down thats all. I know basic steps for example eliminate fields that are notthing to to with the PK for the 1STNF, ill take alook at the website you provided thanks alot for your help

Short version of 5 rules of data normalization:

1) Eliminate repeating groups

2) Eliminate redundant data

3) Eliminate columns not dependent on key

4) Isolate independent multiple relationships

5) Isolate semantically related multiple relationships

... And please do not ask for examples ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...