Unanswered: date datatype query

Posted - 03/09/2006 : 14:57:15
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello forum:
    I am selecting a date field from an oracle database, that table field is of datatype timestamp(6). which means date is store as date including miliseconds, example 20-JUN-03 04.55.14.000000 PM.

I need to cast this field to date, which i did as:
    cast(event_date as date) and got a return 06/20/03 4:55 pm,

Question:
    I program need to get this date as 06/20/03 no time included.
    I can't find a way to remove the time from date.
    i use trunc function but did not work

this is my current code:

'In database EVENT_DATE IS OF THE TYPE TIMESTAMP(6)

Set recordSet = dbConn.Execute("SELECT EVENT_NAME,CATEGORY,cast(EVENT_DATE AS DATE) FROM table_name WHERE cast(EVENT_DATE AS DATE) = '" & mDate & "'")

mDate has to be: MM/DD/YYYY no time

otherwise application won't work.

Cool

Try:
    Code:
    WHERE TRUNC(EVENT_DATE) = TO_DATE('" & mDate & "','MM/DD/YYYY')")
    Or:
    Code:
    WHERE TO_CHAR(EVENT_DATE,'MM/DD/YYYY') = '" & mDate & "'")

Last edited by LKBrwn_DBA; 03-09-06 at 18:19.
    The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Still does not work,

I believe you need to put the Trunc or To_Char in place of the first cast. The Select clause defines what data will be returned while the Where clause defines which records the data will come from. You appear to be accessing the correct records so your Where is probably correct (although I'm not familiar with cast-I would have used to_char/to_date in the Where clause too, but if it works then don't change it) and the only thing you need to change is the format of the data being returned.

CAST(event_date AS DATE) -- gives a date with time element
    TRUNC(CAST(event_date AS DATE)) -- same date, rounded down

However, presumably EVENT_DATE should fall somewhere between " & mDate & " (I'm not familiar with that syntax - hoping it's a bind variable ) and " & mDate & " +1 day. Perhaps there is a way to construct the date range in this way and so not have to convert EVENT_DATE.
    Last edited by WilliamR; 03-09-06 at 20:27.

However, presumably EVENT_DATE should fall somewhere between " & mDate & " (I'm not familiar with that syntax - hoping it's a bind variable ) and " & mDate & " +1 day. Perhaps there is a way to construct the date range in this way and so not have to convert EVENT_DATE.
    Well if I'm right mDate is a string and "&" means string concatenation, so I would risk saying : warning, no bind variable here .

If mDate is a string indeed, then CAST won't work because it casts as a DATE which is compared to a string : warning, implicit convertion ! So follow one of LKBrwn_DBA's propositions for the WHERE clause.

Concerning the field you are selecting (SELECT clause), just as calvin-c said, if you want a string in a special format, then CONVERT it EXPLICITLY to that format with TO_CHAR(EVENT_DATE,'MM/DD/YYYY'). Dates or timestamps are NOT strings for Oracle (see this thread for more info on DATE) so if you want a string representation of a date you have to tell Oracle in which format you want it. If you don't, it implicitly converts the date to the default session's string date format (what you are currently experiencing with "SELECT cast(EVENT_DATE AS DATE)") , which is very dangerous and definitely to be avoided.

HTH & regards,

rbaraer
    ORA-000TK : No bind variable detected... Shared Pool Alert code 5 - Nuclear query ready .

You need to get rid of that piece of code and start using bind variables instead of hard-coding your variables into the SQL itself. You're using VB, read about the Command and Parameter object, they are usefull to bind variables and problems like this should dissapear once you do that. You're retrieving apples and comparing them to oranges, oracle's trying to cast your hard-code value into the column's datatype with an implicit conversion and fails to do so (probably with ora-01843). You need to either, convert them to the same type, or use the same datatype when doing the comparison. My approach would be to use bind variables (properly) and let VB and Oracle deal with the convertion.

Cool

Bottom line is to compare date to date or string to string,
    The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb