Unanswered: SQL Server not showing the drives

My sql server is not showing all of my drives in server. Please help me

Quote Originally Posted by uddhab
    My sql server is not showing all of my drives in server. Please help me
    Thats not sufficient info,plz provide some more details.
    Joydeep

SQl Server Not Showing Drives

Hi everybody,
    I tried to restore database but when i open the drive lists it is not showing all of my drives. I have 5 drives in my computer. but it is only showing 2 drives. i have checked the security access, its all ok. but still i am unable to view the drives from sqlserver enterprise manager. it is also not showing the map drives. Pelase help me

Quote Originally Posted by uddhab
    Hi everybody,
    I tried to restore database but when i open the drive lists it is not showing all of my drives. I have 5 drives in my computer. but it is only showing 2 drives. i have checked the security access, its all ok. but still i am unable to view the drives from sqlserver enterprise manager. it is also not showing the map drives. Pelase help me
    Its strange..
    Is it showing all the drives from my computer?If possible restart the machine.
    Are you having access to all the drives from any other application?
    Check those first....
    Joydeep

some more info about mapped drive..

SQL Server cannot read mapped drives. In your backup and restore commands always refer to the network drive or network share using UNC path. UNC path has the following format: \\MachineName\ShareName or \\MachineName\DriveLetter$\Path

Here is an example to backup the pubs database to a share called 'AllBackups' on a remote machine named 'BackupServer':

BACKUP DATABASE Pubs TO DISK='\\BackupServer\AllBackups\Pubs.BAK'

To backup pubs database to a the admin share 'D$' on a remote server named 'BackupServer':

BACKUP DATABASE Pubs TO DISK='\\BackupServer\D$\MSSQL7\BACKUP\Pubs.BAK'

For network backups and restores to work, make sure your SQL Server and SQL Agent services are NOT running under system account. These services must run using a domain account and this domain account must have read and write permissions on the network share or drive.
    Hope this could help you.
    Joydeep

Provided Answers: 6
    something about this makes me uneasy. i would backup locally and copy the .bak over the network. network packet issues?
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.