Unanswered: Admin tools for DB2

I'm looking for admin tools for DB2. example like, MySQL, we have phpmyadmin and navicat. So i was wondering for DB2, is there any?

pls advice. thanks.

The tools you can look for:

1> Quest Central for DB2
    (http://www.quest.com/db2/)

2> DBArtisan from Embarcadero (http://www.embarcadero.com/products/...san/index.html)

But I find the best one is Control Center which comes by default with db2 udb installation, specially the GUI of Control Center which is coming with Db2 UDB ESE 8.2 is really good.

Thanks,
    Jay
    New Delhi, India

Hi, thanks. I trying the quest software. Thanks. i using DB2 v7. I know about the control centre. But i wanted something like, i am able to insert data into the table, without writing sql statement. something like MS access.

Quote Originally Posted by JAYANTA_DATTA
    The tools you can look for:
    But I find the best one is Control Center which comes by default with db2 udb installation, specially the GUI of Control Center which is coming with Db2 UDB ESE 8.2 is really good.

Thanks,
    Jay
    New Delhi, India

Really? I have to work with this...."great" tool. Especially when you have to insert a lot of data (tables, sequences, indexes..), the tool is not capeable of this in a "userfriendly" way. E.g. the output, if one create table statement does not work, its a horror ot find the errormessage in the output.

At first i thought thats the worst tool i ever worked with, but than i had to work with the development center to port a few procedures & functions. Its simply not possible to edit the code in this "great" development center in a proper way.

I also work with Toad and Oracle, and thats a _MUCH_ better combination.

I was hoping to get a better support with "Toad for DB2", and in fact, its MUCH better than the tool from ibm...but I still hope to find a better tool.

Control Centre and Devlopment Centre has got better with V8.2 .. It is much better than 7.2 ... (If you have used earlier versions, you'll see how good 7.2's control centre is ) ..

This is the toolset I use :
    a) Development centre for SPs.
    b) Aqua Data Studio for SQLs, Triggers, UDFs.
    c) Command line for Admin type things
    d) If needed, Control centre to generate scripts for admin activities, which I stick into the command line for execution.

I'm also looking for a sinlge tool that will satisfy all these needs

I haven't used Toad-Oracle combination, so I can't compare DB2 Toad with Oracle Toad , but atleast for now, I don't feel comfortable using it (DB2 Toad's free version)

Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

i tried Auqa Data Studio.. but i cant get it connected. I have replace the driver as stated in the website. but it still cant work.
    the error is:
    connection failed: COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.net.DB2Driver.

How to resolved it?
    Last edited by carebear_123; 03-16-06 at 03:00.

I didn't know it was documented .. Thanks for the info ..

You may consider the option of editing the bat file and/or cfg file in the aqua directory
    C:\Program Files\Aqua Data Studio 4.5

If you are able to resolve, please share your experience

Cheers
    Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

i tried but still couldn't get it work.

i found another tool: dbQwikEdit

anyone use it before, help needed thanks?
    Last edited by carebear_123; 03-17-06 at 04:27.

With Aquadatastudio, when you tried type-3 driver , what is the error you get ? For Type 3 drivers, the version of db2java.zip on the server and the client needs to be the same

Cheers
    Sathyaram

i already say about error in the earlier post..

i have change the version of db2java.zip on the server and the client to be the same.

i tried Auqa Data Studio.. but i cant get it connected. I have replace the driver as stated in the website. but it still cant work.
    the error is:
    connection failed: COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.net.DB2Driver.

How to resolved it?

Quote Originally Posted by sathyaram_s
    [...]
    b) Aqua Data Studio for SQLs, Triggers, UDFs.
    [...]
    Sathyaram
    Mmmmh, well atm i've got a problem (once again! ). I have a ~120mb sql file with insert statements. Now, every tool i tried, couldn't handle this.

To be honest, I don't get why, 120mb is not THAT much....but the Development Center reports an error when i try to load the file, TOAD for DB2 gets an out of memory error (!), EMS SQL Query 2005 for DB2 UDB hangs after I loaded the file and last but not least ( ) Aqua Data Studio 4 doesn't even OPEN the file.

Now I tried to split the file into 4 parts, and still, not one of the application was able to load the feed into the database.

Does anyone know other tools i can try? Maybe a tool which does not open the whole file immediatly, but streams it into the database.