Provided Answers: 4

Unanswered: object-relational database information

I am familiar with relational databases and object-oriented design and programming, but I don't know what to make of "object-relational" databases.

Where can I find information that can bring me up to speed ?
    Is it widly in use ?
    With kind regards . . . . . SQL Server 2000/2005/2012
    Wim

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.
    Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages

Hey,

I got a good document from google few days back on the same.

You can have a look on the same, though it is more Rational oriented but basic concepts are the same.
    http://www.wyyzzk.com/freestuff/Obje...DataModels.pdf
    Thanks,
    Jay
    New Delhi

Thank you for your response.
    It describes how to map a datamodel to an object model and the reverse, but it doesn't describe how an object-relational database differs from a relational database.
    Wim

Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-...onal_database:
    An object-relational database (ORD) or object-relational database management system (ORDBMS) is a relational database management system that allows developers to integrate the database with their own custom data types and methods. The term object-relational database is sometimes used to describe external software products running over traditional DBMSs to provide similar features; these systems are more correctly referred to as object-relational mapping systems.

Whereas RDBMS or SQL-DBMS products focused on the efficient management of data drawn from a limited set of data types (defined by the relevant language standards), an object-relational DBMS allows software developers to integrate their own types and the methods that apply to them into the DBMS. The goal of ORDBMS technology is to allow developers to raise the level of abstraction at which they view the problem domain.

Does that mean that from the moment DB2 included user defined functions, stored procedures and user defined distinct types, it became an object-relational database ?
    Wim