Question Unanswered: Fuzzy Search to Lanuch Form

Hello,

I'm over my head with this one!

I want to create a fuzzy search on an address field in my main form to look at the first 6-7 charecters of the address that is being input. Then pull a list of possible duplicates and lanuch a subform that will give the user the option to pick an existing address and view the details of its record or to continue with the one they are working on.
    I'm thinking this can be done with some code and a sqlquery on a sub form but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Thanks for your time and help!

Since you haven't gotten any responses I will give you an idea. I was preparing for doing a similar thing, but the project never got off the ground. But I was looking at creating a Soundex function. It takes parts of the address and creates a code, then you can compare codes to see if they match. Easier than exact matching. There is another algorithm that is similar to Soundex (don't remember the name).

But I would suggest, when the user finishes typing in an address, run the Soundex function and save the result in the table. Then as someone is entering a new address you can compare the result with the stored values.

Again, I only looked at implementing this briefly so I have never done it myself. Good luck.

maybe this sort-of-soundex demo attached might give you inspiration and/or worry you about soundex' limitations.

i changed a few rules away from standard soundex to suit the typos i was trying to compensate for in my application.

dummy data in the attached is most popular male/female baby names in 2004.

izy
    Attached Files Attached Files
    currently using SS 2008R2

Thanks for the ideas. Looks like a good option for me, although I'm going to have to back burner it until this fall.

Thanks Again!

John