Thread: Search Engine

Unanswered: Search Engine

I have created a form to search my DB on certain fields. One ComboBox, DropDown.One textbox, txtInput and one command button. It works well if there is no space in the field name. However if there is a space in the field name I get the error message 'Runtime error 3075 Syntax error(missing operator) in query expression etc. etc. The code I am using is this. How do I overcome this problem? any guidance appreciated

Dim db As Database
    Dim QD As QueryDef
    Dim WHERE As Variant

Set db = CurrentDb()

' Delete the existing dynamic query; trap the error if the query does
    ' not exist.

On Error Resume Next
    db.QueryDefs.Delete ("Dynamic_Query")
    On Error GoTo 0

WHERE = Null

Set QD = db.CreateQueryDef("DynamicQuery", "SELECT * FROM Nonconformances WHERE " & DropDown.Value & " LIKE '*" & txtInput & "*'")
    DoCmd.OpenQuery "DynamicQuery"

ahhhhhhh.

well - first thing is not to use spaces in object names - they always bite you in the bum sooner or later.

possible fix: have a go with
    FROM Nonconformances WHERE [" & DropDown.Value & "] LIKE '*" & txtInput & "*'")

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Provided Answers: 1
    Check to make sure you're dealing with a string field too. I'm not sure what error you get when you try to use LIKE on a numeric field, but it's something to check...
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Thanks Izzy. Worked like a charm. The square brackets solved the problem. Incidentally, this is not my DB. I never have spaces in my field names. I was asked to look at the search routine. The table to search on has some 30 fields and the search form had 30 text boxes. A nightmare. Teddy, hadn't thought about numeric, as there are no numeric fields to search on. I will try it out on a numeric field. Many thanks for your help.