Thread: Forgot Password

Unanswered: Forgot Password

I have a Access 97 database that I am trying to open up but I can't. The reason why is because it asks for a password as soon as the database starts to open. I created a new database and tryed to import the tables from the database that I can't get into but I still get prompted for a password.

Does anyone have an idea on how to get into teh database or a workaround?

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by estefex; 03-15-06 at 11:52.

I seem to remember reading that with Excel 97 you could create a normal file and a password protected version of the same file and compare the hex code at the beginning of each file. The difference would give you the location of the encoded password. I guess then you could paste the relevant hex for an unprotected file into any protected file and you would have effectively erased the password protect. This presumably works because only the password was encrypted and not the whole file (unlike the more sophisticated methods of later versions). I have no idea if this works or if it would work on an Access file (or even if I'm talking about the right version for that matter ). If you are going to attempt this make sure you have backup files.

There are loads of password crackers available on the web for MS Office products although I suspect most will charge. You might find you can run a trial version that will give you say the first 4 characters of your password which will remind you what it was (?).

You can also pay a third party to crack your file. Again, there are many of these available on the web.

hth
    Chris

I forgot to mention this obviously depends on how the security has been deployed. My message assumes the use of the Access database password rather than someone creating their mechanism in VBA.
    Chris

if it's just a simple pw rather than MDW security, there is a free and effective pw cracker at
    http://www.everythingaccess.com/downloads.asp

...unfortunately the site seems to be suffering some difficulties at the moment. if it doesn't come back up soon you could maybe try a PM to waynephillips

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Howey. Thank you for your suggestions. We actually used one of your ideas. We downloaded a demo of a password cracker to see the first few characters of the password and then we just guessed the rest.

Thanks again!