Unanswered: Oracle 10g spfile vs pfile can't mount db

Oracle 10g (10.1.0.2)/Windows 2000/ASM in use

Arrgh.

I was trying to configure ARCHIVELOG on our test database. I failed to notice that the archive log format has changed for 10g (now requires %r). When I went to restart the db, it will not mount, citing an error in the archive_log_format parameter.

So I went to start it from a pfile (instead of the spfile). Made the change to the log_archive_format parameter and executed create spfile from pfile (saving the spfile over the original spfile).

Now the error that is being thrown at startup is:
    Code:
    ORA-27046: file size is not a multiple of logical block size
    Per ora-code, this means:
    Quote Originally Posted by ora code
    Cause: File size as indicated by STAT is not correct, additional information indicates which function encountered the error.
    This is followed by error:
    Code:
    OSD-04012 file size mismatch
    ora code doesn't have a listing for this one. According to orafusion link this means that the control file was manually edited; but I did not touch the control file.

Now I have an spfile that I cannot use to start the database. I can use the pfile, but that's not what I was looking for.

I'm much more comfortable with 9i than with 10g, but I need to get this database into ARCHIVELOG mode and start backing it up.

Any assistance appreciated...

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Ultimately I was able to create a new spfile from an existing pfile and mount the database with the spfile. One key difference (of which I was not previously aware): when I created the spfile from the pfile while the database was mounted (having used the pfile), the spfile would not work. I would get another error indicating that Oracle found a 0 in an expected place.

By creating the spfile from the pfile before exectuing startup mount, I was able to create a usable spfile.

Ugh.

I was finally able to configure ARCHIVELOG mode and get everything else to work as I had wanted.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

how about startup using pfile?
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

What you described in your second post is the expected / natural behavior. There's no command like, "reload initialization parameters from new source." Once you do a startup nomount or higher, the init parameters have been parsed and loaded into memory. To load parameters from a different source (i.e., to switch between pfile and spfile) you need to clear the existing parameters from memory by shutting down the instance.

Glad to hear you were able to resolve the problems.
    MarkRem
    Author, Oracle Database 10g: From Nuts to Soup
    http://www.remidata.com/book_nuts2soup.htm