Arrow Unanswered: multiple queries on a form

Hi

i am looking at creating a form that will basically deal with invoices. i have two tables (Contact details and asset). i need to search for customer information in the contact details table, then search for asset details from the asset table, pull this info to one form with an invoice being created within the form which can then be saved,

any help would be most appreciated

Mark

And your question is?????
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

how do i do it??

I think his question is how to do it. Hes looking for a guide.

Quote Originally Posted by marleyuk
    I think his question is how to do it. Hes looking for a guide.
    I kinda figured as much ... Time for the student to do some searching for some answers ...

well thanks for you help, i am searching for answers, thats why im on here!!

i have been searching around and have become stuck, so you you or anyone else can help me solve or give any guidance, that would halp me out.

the question is to clear things up is,

is it possible to create a form that will create an invoice, but get the information from 2 different tables. the tables i have are customer details and asset. i want to search for customer information from the customer details table, the information to be displayed on the form, and search for assets and then store this on the same form.

is this possible, if so, how?? any guidance would be most appreciated

Provided Answers: 1
    Hi

Although no one seems willing to give you a clues, I will just say that yes it is possilble (I create invoice requests from 9 tables - very complicated, at least for me, so don't ask).

First the trick is to construct the query to provide the information for the invoice, ie. items not invoiced! (this can be an amalgamation of a number of queries/sub queries if necessary). The invoice form should then use this as the record source. The customer/Asset criteria/filters in the query can be linked to List/Combo controls on the form so the record returned reflect the selection on the form.

Then you need to constuct an action query(s) and/or VBA code to save the information to the invoice table(s) so you have a record of what has been issued/invoiced and the value(s). At the end of that procedure an invoice/report can be printed.

The invoice report should be based on a query(s) to retrieve the data just saved to the invoice table(s) !

Sorry this is general, but this is not the place for teaching you how to use Access or the query designer. My be a book on Access would help!

If that helps then have a go. If you get stuck on any specific problem/syntax etc. then I am sure there is someone on this site that will help !

MTB

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheBike
    Hi

Although no one seems willing to give you a clues, I will just say that yes it is possilble (I create invoice requests from 9 tables - very complicated, at least for me, so don't ask).

First the trick is to construct the query to provide the information for the invoice, ie. items not invoiced! (this can be an amalgamation of a number of queries/sub queries if necessary). The invoice form should then use this as the record source. The customer/Asset criteria/filters in the query can be linked to List/Combo controls on the form so the record returned reflect the selection on the form.

Then you need to constuct an action query(s) and/or VBA code to save the information to the invoice table(s) so you have a record of what has been issued/invoiced and the value(s). At the end of that procedure an invoice/report can be printed.

The invoice report should be based on a query(s) to retrieve the data just saved to the invoice table(s) !

Sorry this is general, but this is not the place for teaching you how to use Access or the query designer. My be a book on Access would help!

If that helps then have a go. If you get stuck on any specific problem/syntax etc. then I am sure there is someone on this site that will help !

MTB
    Hell, I do that ... My problem is that I cannot disclose intellectual property. Plus I'm not about to solve the problem for them ... If you're in school, that's what talking to your fellow students and/or instructor is for ... AND the other reason is that they wouldn't understand my explanation anyway - and I'm not really interested in explaining why I did what I did and the reasons for doing so so that they can follow along.

MSG to M_OWEN

[This is what PM's are for]
    Last edited by Teddy; 03-19-06 at 14:25.

none of my mates have got any ideas on how to solve the problem, and as we are all doing different things, i was after any ideas that may help me solve this problem.

thanks for your advice mikethebike!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dominican79
    [This is what PM's are for]
    WOW! To get an edit from Ted that musta been a doozy of a flame ... Too bad I didn't get to see it else I would respond in an appropriate manner ...

Something people need to understand: THERE IS NO ENTITLEMENT HERE. No one is owed an explanation for their problem(s) ... I could give a rat's ass what most people in this forum think of me (except for Ted, Izy, Dan, and a few others ...). I do admit to being an snarky asshole sometimes (especially on bad days) but on the whole I hope that I'm more helpful than a hinderance.

As for entry level programmers: Ask specific questions. Figure out what in the hell you need before asking. If you don't know how to ask it say so. TRY to describe what you need to/want to do ...

Mark,

Ok. You wore me down ... Let's try this: WHAT info do you have in each of your tables? Obviously you're going to have to develop some queries ... How do you want to pull the customer? What mechanism? How are the assets classified WITHIN a given customer (more than one invoice)? Are you looking for something slam-bam? Or are you looking for something more sophisticated?

What technology are you used to (or have exposure to) using? DAO? ADO?

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by M Owen
    WOW! To get an edit from Ted that musta been a doozy of a flame ... Too bad I didn't get to see it else I would respond in an appropriate manner ...
    I don't plan on making a habit of editting individual posts, but that was ridiculous. I'm not going to moderate people's opinions of one-another as I feel that defeats the fundamental purpose of an online forum. However, if I have to take the effort to read your post flaming another member, you better have put at least an equal amount of effort into writing it. I firmly believe one can say what they have to say without making an ass of themselves by resorting to a plethora of uncreative explicatives. This isn't craigslist folks...

As for entry level programmers: Ask specific questions. Figure out what in the hell you need before asking. If you don't know how to ask it say so. TRY to describe what you need to/want to do ...
    Hey... what's this over here...?

Something people need to understand: THERE IS NO ENTITLEMENT HERE. No one is owed an explanation for their problem(s) ...
    Hmmmm... and this?
    Last edited by Teddy; 03-20-06 at 13:48.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy
    I don't plan on making a habit of editting individual posts, but that was ridiculous. I'm not going to moderate people's opinions of one-another as I feel that defeats the fundamental purpose of an online forum. However, if I have to take the effort to read your post flaming another member, you better have put at least an equal amount of effort into writing it. I firmly believe one can say what they have to say without making an ass of themselves by resorting to a plethora of uncreative explicatives. This isn't craigslist folks...

Hey... what's this over here...?

Hmmmm... and this?
    And to quote: I just didn't see the FAQs until after the fact officer ... Sorry to steal your thunder ol man ...