Thread: Informix 10

Smile Unanswered: Informix 10

Any experience in the forum with Informix 10. We need to expand our systems to support twice the current load. I am concerned about the 2GB shared mem limit with IDS 7.31.

How reliable is version 10? 7.31 has been rock solid.

Thanks,

Hi,
    The problem is not IDS 7.3x, the problem is that S.O. is 32 bits. The maximum size shared memory is about 1.7 GB.
    You can assign this value in SHMVIRTSIZE, then define SHMADD, for the memory increase.
    Or change the S.O. to 64 bits.

Gustavo.

Thanks for the response. It seems to me that the problem is more than the 32-bit/64-bit OS but something internal in IDS7.31 that will not let you put a value in SHMTOTAL more than 2GB.

Remember, even 2GB chunks and 2 GB file sizes could not be increased on 7.31 64-bit. Would anybody out there from IBM/Informix like to comment.

Hi,

Excuse me, but a thing is the maximum size of the segment of shared memory and another is the maximum size of a chunk. The size of the chunk depends on the version of IDS, not if this in 32 or 64 bits The maximum size of the first segment of shared memory, in a system of 32 bits, is
    of approximately 1.7GB, then the IDS is able increase so much as the memory physical of the system be permitted it.
    If the problem is the size of the chunks, alone will be able them to create of a maximum of 2GB, in IDS version 7. x

Gustavo.