Thread: Unicode

Unanswered: Unicode

i've am trying to move a database from SQL6.5 to SQL2005.
    I tried to move one of the tables which was a number of char fields to nvarchar fields. Errors came up saying it had Unicode characters ?
    Does anyone know how i can remove this ?

Quote Originally Posted by jcwc888
    i've am trying to move a database from SQL6.5 to SQL2005.
    I tried to move one of the tables which was a number of char fields to nvarchar fields. Errors came up saying it had Unicode characters ?
    Does anyone know how i can remove this ?
    How come the char datatype can have unicode characters? Thats strange Check your table structure properly...
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    - Sir Winston Churchill
    Joydeep

Provided Answers: 1
    What was the specific error message you got? If you were moving to nvarchar, that should handle unicode characters.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Provided Answers: 54
    I'm nearly certain that your original database had a non-standard code page (SQL Character set), possibly CP 850. That code page can represent some characters that don't exist in CP 1250 or CP 1033, which are the default code pages for an English installation of SQL Server.

The "Brute Force, one size fits all" solution is is use Unicode NVARCHAR columns in your target (SQL 2000) database. These can accept any Unicode character, so you are guaranteed compatibility.

A simpler, quicker, and more elegant solution would be to make either the database default code page, or the specific column code page in your target database match the code page in your source database.

This problem is common in eastern and southern Europe. It happens all the time. It is VERY confusing the first time you encounter it, because it is the first time you've encountered it. It gets worse the second time you encounter it, because it isn't the first time (so you start to second guess yourself). After the second time, it rates a footnote as "oh yeah, another one of those pesky things", but it doesn't mean squat anymore!

-PatP

sorry - I wasn't really clear. i have the SQL6.5 box on a NT server 4 which isn't connected to any domain or workgroup. So the only way was to BCP the files out which failed, so i just saved the text files from the Query Analyzer and then used intergration services to load the text files in.

I had a lot of errors saying there were unicode characters. i even saved it as a report which was converted in Excel. As my knowledge on SQL6.5 is pretty limited -- i am not sure what the problem is.