Unanswered: weekend thought: class-providing-library or imported classes

i gave up trying to make a universal referencer. to avoid the version issues i went with a bunch of late-bind classes. now i have to choose between:

referencing my private library containing a provider for all my classes
    or
    importing into each app the classes that app requires

can you offer any data on speed, resources, whatever, that will aid the decision?

does a referenced class-provider holding 10 classes "impair" an app that only needs 2 of the classes??

what is the "cost" of a reference???

(the maintenence issue is obvious - but i don't want to consider it here)

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Provided Answers: 1
    I don't think references cost anything. Logically, referencing a class just means you can, if you want to, create an instance of a given object. Until you do, it's just a road map on where to find the goods in case you start using it.

Consider making API calls through referenced dll's. A given dll may have tens if not hundreds of methods and objects available. Referencing the dll all by itself doesn't cost anything at all. USING it does.

Or another example, just within Access. If you reference the excel object library, which is capable of generating tons of objects, you see no performance hit until you start instantiating automation objects. Then performance is degraded only by the object itself, not the referenced library.

Then again, I could be talking out of my ass.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Or I could be talking out of my ass.
    LOL

what you say is reasonable.
    is it true ...bah: i don't know.

need to decide in the next couple of weeks which way to go.
    tried both.
    both work.
    no obvious performance difference.

decisions, decisions, decisions!

izy

Provided Answers: 1
    If there's no obvious performance difference, then I would pull in whole providers. I would split the difference though and group your classes into logical providers. There's no reason to have some obscure data bus technology worked into a set of string manipulation methods.

The extra work you put into organization would payoff when you have to modify or append classes to your relevant providers. Now only the application that use that particular provider would need to be updated, instead of EVERYTHING.

The only drawback to having this seperation is when you have to start wrestling with dependencies...
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

yup:
    that's the maintenence issue is obvious issue that i was leaving aside.

maintenence bites both ways: a global provider is constrained to maintain backward compatibility with everything; an imported class that works, works, and if it needs a special tweak it can have one without blowing the whole fleet out of the water.

mmmm izy