Unanswered: Force Uppercase in forms?

Let me state that I am from the Oracle world, so I don't know a great deal about Access, but need to develop a small app in it.

I am used to storing all of my data in uppercase in the database, and want to enforce this through the forms. I have searched the forum and help, but have not found a great answer. I normally hate 2 part questions, but also hate making 2 separate threads so here goes.

1) Is there a simple setting on the form property for case that I am missing?

2) If not, what is the best way to go about it? I dont mind if the users enter in any case they want, but I want to be able to store that value in uppercase when it hits the database. I looked at some of the databases that come with Access, and noticed you can just close the form and the record gets inserted into the DB. So how would you go about converting the values if the user can just close the form? And why does it just insert the record instead of either rolling it back, or notifying you?

Any ideas would be very helpful! Thanks!
    Oracle OCPI (Certified Practicing Idiot)

Ucase()
    does what you need, either at the INSERT/UPDATE stage or find a suitable event (perhaps lostfocus or afterupdate) and do it on-screen

izy

LATER: two part answer -
    Second Part: don't know cos i don't use bound forms
    currently using SS 2008R2

Thanks for the quick response! I will try that out and see - that probably would take care of my 2nd question if I can just change it once the user enters it.

I'll update back and see how it worked out.

That worked perfectly - just what i was looking for. Thank you very much!

In case anyone is curious, there is also a setting for committing when a form is closed. For some unknown reason, by default its set to commit the record (bad idea in my opinion). So that answers why the record is saved upon closing.

true

but then almost all A default settings are crap.
    ...allow all views of a form (seriously: does anyone NOT kill that)
    ...navigation buttons
    ...show max/min/close
    ...sizeable border
    ...both scrollbars
    ...andonandonandonandon

my only guess at the rationale was that this is the result of a misguided attempt by Mr. Gates to make A more accessible

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

I agree totally. I think they tried to appeal to the lowest common denominator of people who have never used a database. If its even possible, I find Access TOO user friendly

Thanks for the help again izy