Provided Answers: 6

Unanswered: what am I really looking at in the process info window?

I had a clients dba send me a peice of sql from the Last T-SQL command window from the process info screen under current activity in the enterprise mangler. It was a select query from a large table with no where clause.

I setup profiler for all of the xxxx:completed events for the T-SQL and Stored Procedure Event Classes. I played with that part of the app for a while. I could not find my sql in the trace. I finally gave in and open the Mangler and I was able to reproduce it once but I still could not find the sql profiler. It is not in syscomments and I have a developer running a FIND in the app code.

EDIT: I know the sql the query processor uses is not always the sql you send it.

I am kind of confused about what that window shows I rarely use it for something like that. Anyone have any light to shed?
    Last edited by Thrasymachus; 03-20-06 at 20:47.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

shameless bump by a regular here.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 1
    Not sure what your question is. You want to know what is displayed in the Last TSQL command batch box of the Process Details window? It's the last command sent by the process, which is occasionally some administrative command from the application, and not a piece of business logic.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

i think i found the culprit. the client still has a few users on the old legacy Access version of the web app and there appears to be some bound forms in their which I suspect is the cause. Stupid Jet engine..

Provided Answers: 11
    It appears to be this:
    Code:
    sp_MSget_current_activity 54,1
    Not too sure what it does. Took yesterday off, and I am already goofing off around here. I will see if I can disect it later, but you may have already done that.

EDIT: Oh, and 54 was the SPID of the call. Doesn't Microsoft know about @@spid?

Provided Answers: 11
    Arr. Now that I read your actual request...

EM uses DBCC INPUTBUFFER to get the current comnmand. I think it is limited to the first 255 characters, though. To prove it out, doubleclick your own process in EM. Fun, eh?