Question Unanswered: Create New Database...Need Help!

Hi,
    I am trying to organize a large amount of data currently in a HUGE text file. I have been doing some research and it seems that a database is probably the best way to go. However, I am not sure how to set up the tables to allow easy input/viewing of this data. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Here is what I am storing:
    Every 10 minutes, I am gathering data. The information is weather data from 250 cities. What I currently store in my file is the date. And then 5 pieces of data (Temperature, Pressure, Wind, Snow Total, Rain Total) for each of the 250 cities. I thought I could set up a table for the 5 pieces of data and the date and city, but then I would be adding 250 occurences to the table every 10 minutes. This data must be stored for 10 years.

Is this possible? How would you proceed!
    Thank you so much!!
    Jennifer

Provided Answers: 1
    I would use SQL Express/MSDE. You will rather quickly reach the limits of Access' functional storage capacity if you intend to push 150000 records per day. Design-wise, a flat table would be sufficient. In theory, best practices says you should probably store cities in a seperate table and use a foriegn key in your main logistics table. IF you want to get REALLY tricky, you could store metric categories in a seperate table as well.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Hi ~
    Thank you for the information. I have a few questions. I went to Microsoft.com to download SQL Express, and was wondering if the 2005 edition can be interfaced with Visual C++ 6.0. It only mentions VC 2005...

Also, can SQL Express be used to create a database, or do I need to download something else to do that....Do you know of a good webpage to help me get started?

Thanks so much!
    Jennifer

Provided Answers: 1
    SQL Express is a database server, I assume you're asking how you interface with it. There are a few administrative tools out there if you want a gui for it. SQL Server Manager Express comes to mind...
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***