Unanswered: Track seconds, minutes or hours

Version: Access 2000
    Problem: I am trying to update a database at my job that is being used by multiple users, what I want to do is track how long it took a person to update or create a record. Any suggestion helps.
    Sbehavior: N/A
    Error: N/A
    CSolution: N/A

Hi DOC36 - welcome to the forum.

Someone's been reading the FAQ

What means do they use to update (e.g. is this via a bound form or a SQL INSERT or UPDATE)? Are you trying to time the technology or are you snooping on the users?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Thanks for the welcome pootle

records are updated using a form

we have a program here that pays by the amount of work you do, this would be a key to paying by the hour for the many access databases we have here(if that makes sense).

Provided Answers: 59
    not really
    but presumably your "pay by results" is by records changed, rather than time taken to change records

time taken would be a beggar to do.

who did what could be done (an audit log would be a good starting pointm especailly if you also do some calulcations on accuracy (ie subtract for frequenet rekeying / corrections)

- perhaps you could give more details of what precisely you want to achieve
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I can get who did what and when, and lock records after update using http://allenbrowne.com/ser-55.html, I just can't track how long it took.

here is how it is setup, data gets imported into a table from external .txt file, besides the fields the .txt file has, the table has fields that are updated by a user, a query is created based on the table, a form is created based on the query.

Everyone uses the form to input "dates" and "initials." I deleted the original "initials" field from the form and created a table related to the imported table and created a subform on the main form from that table which has the field "initials," this is how I am able to lock the "initials" field once it has been updated without the field being locked for all other records. Once it locks I can get the time it was lock and who locked it, I just need to know how long it took them to lock it.

(sorry if confusing)

Provided Answers: 59
    well what you could do is take the time a particualr action was started
    eg if someone navigated to a record, or if someone started to insert a record

have a look at form events in the helpfile to get a good grounding on when events occur.

the forms "on current" event triggers when a record navigation is done, "before insert" for a new record
    the forms "after update" event could be used to take a finish time, subtract the start from the finish time gioves the elapsed time.

write the elpased time to another table by userid.
    jobsagoodun.....

HTH
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton