Unanswered: is it possible to define in sql server linked tables as in access?

is it possible to define in sql server linked tables to odbc data sources as it is possible to do in access?
    except Access and vfp, is there another database that allows to create linked tables to odbc data sources?

I need to combine in a database native tables with odbc linked tables, but it would need to use a database more powerful that access or vfp

Provided Answers: 54
    Yes, see sp_addlinkedserver for ideas.

-PatP

Quote Originally Posted by rdeharo
    is it possible to define in sql server linked tables to odbc data sources as it is possible to do in access?
    except Access and vfp, is there another database that allows to create linked tables to odbc data sources?

I need to combine in a database native tables with odbc linked tables, but it would need to use a database more powerful that access or vfp
    You can use SQL Linked servers to achieve your goals. A Linked Server can be any ODBC-compliant database for which there are adequate drivers.

I would advise a bit of caution regarding linked servers; they work well, but use complex queries with caution as you can't always predict with certainty where the processing will occur (especially when there are joins and subqueries involved).

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?